Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hatteras VS ChrisCraft VS Pacemaker??

I have always thougth of Hatteras as a high end boats and I read Pascoe's comment on Hatteras of "good in all respects". I have never been on a larger Chris Craft such as a Commander 42 or a Pacemaker 40 Convertible.

So my question is this? How do the other makes stack up against a Hatt. if we are talking 40-45ft. convertible from the 1970-80 era.

What is the fit and finish like between them.

Are they all solid glass and not much between hull construction?
    The performance of each seems to be in the same range.

Thanks for any insight.

Re: Hatteras VS ChrisCraft VS Pacemaker??

Proof is in the puddin as they say. there were a lot more Chris crafts Pace Luhrs Eggs etc than Hatts around in the 60's and 70's. If you see any today they are in the bone yards while most of the same vintage Hatts are still out there cranking away.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I would say hatteras and chris-craft are similar quality systems wise. A hatteras has a higher level of finish. Pacemaker is a lighter built boat. Where Hatteras used copper and chrome plated brass Pacemaker used plastic and chrome plated pot metal. Hatteras used larger shafts, struts and rudders.
    When you work on an older Pacemaker more things break taking them apart. If you repaired them side by side for years the differences become pretty glaring. On the down side it takes a lot more power and fuel to get the same speed out of a Hat. Depends on the boats intended use I guess.

In addition to my Hatteras, I also own a 46ft Pacemaker MW. I would compare the Pacemaker to the quality of a ChrisCraft, but no where near the quality of a Hatteras. As far as the ride, although the Pacemaker has a large keel and may have a tick better ride than a CC, once again no comparison to a Hatteras.

It varies between models and years but I think the Hatt's stand tall above most CC and every Pacemaker. CC made some very well built boats. The Commanders are well designed and systems are top quality. A good friend of mine has a 1984 38' CC MY. Very well made and laid out. Best engine room I've ever seen in a boat this size and the ride is great. I don't think the Pacemakers can compare to Hatteras or CC. Not a bad boat just not in the same class.
    Jack Sardina

I think the finish Of Hat is way ahead. Pacemaker used mostly luan doors for example. As for the hulls Hatteras had years of practice with fiberglass before the the Chris and Pace got starter. For that matter Chris started with a fibergleass house and a wood hull in the big boats.

And as R Smith says in the first responce how many do you see?

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Pace is a distant 3rd.

Chris in the 70's-mid 80's were pretty robust. If you find a good deal on a CC, you should at least consider it.

Hatts have the brand recognition and reputation though. The 3 kings of production boats are Hatt, Berts and Viking.

8. Re: Hatteras VS ChrisCraft VS Pacemaker??

Ditto the above.

I looked at several 48 ft Pacemaker SF a number of years ago.....I recall
    lots of stress cracks...just too many, even though they were likely not structural. I always liked the PAce SF lines...long and low...akin to Oceans today....

A related brand, Alglass, were similar..I looked at two, YF I think, very reasonably priced on the NJ shore....VT903 or 370 Cummins...don't remember which, but those boats ...hull and superstructure... just looked worn out....

I only looked at 47 foot CC Commanders,,,MY and YF..those were NICE, but with 8V53's at 283 HP underpowered....solid hulls which seem to resist blistering...don't know if the SF were made at the same location with the same materials....Also saw an older 55 CC MY one summer on the hard near Stongington, CT...around 2006 or so....looked great from the outside, just too big for me....Bottom looked good....
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 02-20-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Your looking at 42 SF's...let me throw one more brand to consider. Post Marine. On par quality wise with CC. Nice layouts and a loyal following. Only downside is the hull design has shallow V. More fuel efficient and faster in good weather but once seas get to 3' or more, you have to slow down.

I used to have a CC 392 Commander and if you looked at the serial number you would see a UNF. CC made good boats but they used alot of hulls from Pacemaker and Uniflite.