Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel Coolers

Fuel Coolers

Hi All,

Please remember I'm non-technical so I may not use the right terminology.

Ok this one applies to my boat......I have 8V71N's with appx 2000 hrs on the stbd and 3800 hours on the port. (don't ask me why, we don't know, neither did the PO)

My guys have told me that the fuel coolers (i think) they are on the top of one side of the engine, about 2 1/2 feet long and have a fuel line going in and water going through.....anyway they tell me that the metal ends where the hoses connect are brittle, however the units themselves were recently professionally cleaned and came back OK.

Anyone know the appx cost to replace these and what happens if one fails before hand?
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Re: Fuel Coolers

" the ends are brittle", do you mean at the point the sea water hoses connect?

If this is the case you could develop a sea water leak. You might want to remove the hoses and do some measuring to figure out much material is actually there.

If they are in poor shape you might want to contact Lenco, in Farmingdale, NY. I use them from time to time to make coolers. They do a nice job and prices are fare.

You should nase the measurements on hand when you call.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY