Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1979 43 DC.. Compass

The binacle in the cockpit steering station is almost out of fluid, any ideas how to refill, ??

Re: 1979 43 DC.. Compass

It's actually quite easy. If you remove the compass from the mounting point (helm) and look underneath you should find a screw-covered port on the side. Removing the screw will allow you to fill the compass. You can often get compass fluid at a marine store though some people use regular mineral oil (which may be what compass fluid is!).

Holding the compass with the port pointing straight up, add fluid until it just overflows and, with the fluid level with the top of the port, put the screw back in. A syringe is helpful for this. That's pretty much it.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

3. Re: 1979 43 DC.. Compass

Danforth constellation...or similar??
    The trick is finding where the leak is and getting a replacement part. If the dome is crazed, it's plastic/acrylic and will have to be replaced. If the compass was out in the freezing weather, an old compass repair guy told me the bellows tend to fail from stiffness in cold weather and you'll need a new one. I've posted compass tips here several times and one of them is to keep compasses in a heated area during cold winter temperatures.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

4. Re: 1979 43 DC.. Compass

A similar customer rack can be made from ss handrails and fittings...not as inexpensive as PVC but a professional job results and a sawzall for cutting makes it easy.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Yeah, I plan on making a custom compass rack using ss handrails; seems like a really neat idea!

Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Yes, if the compass needs new parts, you will need to rebuild it - again, not difficult. I put new domes/orings on several though new bellows were not needed. THe parts are readily available. But you can lose fluid over the years without any real "leaks" that would be noticeable. I found that the upper helm compasses tend to do this more - I assume due to their exposure. My Hatt upper compass had about 1/3 of it's oil gone but there was no sign of liquid leaking. I assume that over time it loses some through an oring that "unseals" as the weather gets extremely cold. Then, when the wx is back to "normal" the ring expands, the seep stops, dries up and there is not sign of it later.

I agree with Reb that keeping them indoors over winter is a good idea though I have never actually done that. The lower helm compass on our hatt still looks brand new and has never been serviced.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Just disassembled mine, polished the dome (perfect!) installed a new gimball ring (bubba cracked mine!) new dome O ring, and 2 new gaskets for the fill plugs. Probably $40 in total from Viking. Also filled mine with J&J baby oil (mineral oil) makes it smell pretty (or like grandma!) ws

http://www.vikingoptics.com/compassrepair.html

BEFORE

After polishing with NOVUS polish
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Thanks gentlemen...another project to be done....