Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Easy hose removal

A while ago, there was some discussion on here about a substance that you smear on a hose barb to make future removal of the hose easier. Seems like I remember the stuff had a "5" in the name. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm replacing a LOT of hoses, and getting some of the oldies off is a chore.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Re: Easy hose removal

Don't know the name of what your are looking for, but I typically use a viscous silicone grease on rubber if I want to lubricate it.

Also, there is a tool known as a hose pick which will help remove an old hose without ruining it. It looks something like a blunt, thick ice pick with a 90 degree bend in it.

Bob

I avoid lubricating the barb with grease or oil. I may be overdoing it, but I worry about the grease preventing the hose from grabbing the barb and slipping off. I lubricate with undiluted liquid dish soap when installing a large hose like on the exhaust. I have not found the need to lubricate raw water or coolant hoses to get them on. The hose pick works OK to get the broken loose. If you don't have one, use a dulled flat blade skinny screwdriver.

I have found the best tool for removing and installing difficult hoses, like sanitary and A/C water hoses, to be a heat gun. Warming the hose has an amazing effect on its willingness to break loose and to slip on and conform to the barb. Be careful with the heat though, you can over do it and ruin the hose.

I use channel Lock pliers and clamp on the hose over the barbed fitting. Now gently rock the pliers back and forth. Be careful not to dig the jaws into the hose. This procedure should break the hose loose from the fitting. I do use a Teflon grease on the barbed fitting before pushing the hose on.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

In tight places a dremel tool can be used to cut through the wire, with care of course not to strike the barb(s).

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

My Warner heat gun is a best friend when dealing with all the hoses on this boat.

Before the heat gun, hoses were one of my most dreaded jobs.

Now ... piece a cake.

ps ... I use the hose lube or soap too (in addition to heat) when putting on the hose.

I am in the process replacing several hoses as well. After much consideration, I am replacing the old black hoses with blue silicone hose. They are more expensive, but supposedly it is the last time that hose will need replacement.

Also, the silicone hoses are much easier to remove and reinstall compared to the stiff black hoses.
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 02-05-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Byron
    "Sweet Melissa"
    Trident 78' Motoryacht
    www.SweetMelissa.info

Previously Owned Hatteras:
    1969 36C Hull #36C331
    1967 41TC Hull #41TC55
    1972 58YF Hull #58YF324

I agree. It is MUCH better, if you can afford the entry cost. It pays to shop around as well, because it is available at better prices from time to time. I also used it in the race car we are building- some of those places are just as hard to get to as on a boat, and I didn't want to have to do it twice.