Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

central vacuum system

Any suggestions on what to buy and where to locate the head unit?

Re: central vacuum system

Not sure of the model I have in my 53MY, but it's mounted on the aft bulkhead of the starboard engineroom between/above the fuel manifold and the hot water heater. Can check on model this weekend.

A neighbor has this one and gives it good marks. I'm considering installing one in Loose Change. My neighbors is installed under the dinette seat.

http://www.intervacdesign.com/

i've use a Nutone, it's ok but storing and lugging the long hose is a real PITA. I much prefer a quality battery vac. the newer one are really good now
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We have two central vac systems on our boat and NEVER use them anymore. We live virtually full time on board. A small upright, like the Bissells and Hoovers that go for 40-60 bucks, gets better results, especially carpets and is more convenient, taking up no more storage room than all the hoses and attachments for the central. You are not dragging all that hose behind you either. Said hoses and attachments are now in a storage facility. A smaller wet dry shop vac gets whatever the upright can't.

Believe me, your boat has bigger needs for that money.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I have one I'll give you if you pay shipping. It's an oldie, but it works. Just not worth the hassle. If you're interested, let me know and I'll get the particulars and let you know.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Wow, I just assumed they were great since most of the newer yachts have them. I'll rethink that item on my list.

I too have a little green bissel cannister vac for under $50. Very lightweight, bagless, compact and easy to store and works great on board, especially with limited storage. Seems to me to be a better alternative to central vacs, and a lot less $$$$
    john mencel
    '86 36' sedan
    "Hatt Last"
    Bayfield, Ontario
    CAT 3208T's

Beam makes a unit for boats, motor homes etc. We also have the same brand in the house. It is almost 20 years old with no problems. Jack