Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I got a call from West Marine...

Since it concerns parts/prices, I figured it would go here in technical but if I'm wrong about that, don't hesitate to move it.

One of their reps called me in response to a rather unfavorable response to a survey of theirs several months ago. My objection was that their prices were uncompetitive.

In this call they wanted me to know that they valued my business and wanted to emphasize that they would price match any other company. I knew that already and repeated the same thing I said in the survey - that if I was out shopping and found a cheaper price at another store, I wasn't going to go to the trouble of going BACK to WM and tell them about it. I would just buy the item wherever I had found it cheaper. The rep also pointed out that they had price matching for X days (he told me how many but I forgot) in which if I bought an item at WM and then discovered it cheaper at another store, if I went back to WM they would refund the difference.

I appreciated that they cared enough to respond to the survey but I didn't hear anything that makes me change my opinion. I shouldn't have to run all over (either physically or via the internet) to find the best price and then buy it at WM after providing them that info. IMO, THEY should be doing that price checking and ensuring their prices are competitive in the first place.

BUT the fact that they at least are "reaching out" to customers indicates that maybe they are trying to implement some useful changes. I'll readily admit that they are super convenient to the marina and it would be great to have that resource less than a mile away. BUT, as of two months ago I could drive an additional 1/2 mile and pay 1/3 less for the same zincs.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: I got a call from West Marine...

Maybe it will help to wake them up. I don't think they care. There are too many people out there that have no idea what the marine things cost.
    I have a step sister in Florida that works in the woman's make-up department at Walmart. She is the department head and one day a week she must visit other retail drug stores and check that her prices are the same or lower. Then adjust hers accordingly.

BILL

"one day a week she must visit other retail drug stores and check that her prices are the same or lower. Then adjust hers accordingly.
    "
    Hmm...you should talk her into proposing that Walmart take over WM or start their own marine stores.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Lightbulb Re: I got a call from West Marine...

I agree with you about not going back to the store after a purchase. One good thing about there price match is that you can get west advantage points every time you make a purchase there. I'm not sticking up for west at all there thieves. If you have the time research the item first then go there. You can get the best price and the west points. Another good point is it's in your hand and that says alot on a Sunday. I'll admit I stay away when possible I'd rather not shop somewhere that I always feel like I'm getting the shaft. Just a thought.

Back in my chain store retail days in a variety of product categories, shopping the competition was a weekly requirement. To a certain degree, I would liken WM to the office products retailers. There is a list of core high volume commodities that set the price perception, and store prices were reset immediately. Then there was a rotation list of "next tier" goods that were shopped on a cyclical basis. Once you lose price perception, you lose a big part of the game. A common policy in the electronics business was to match prices, plus 10% of the difference, to compensate the customer for the work they had to do. Including over charging them, the worst thing you can do to a customer is waste their time.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    "one day a week she must visit other retail drug stores and check that her prices are the same or lower. Then adjust hers accordingly.
    "
    Hmm...you should talk her into proposing that Walmart take over WM or start their own marine stores.
    Every night when I go to bed I pray that Harbor Freight will go into the marine supply business!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Be careful what you wish for......

If either of them does you'll be unable to buy anything but cheap Chinese junk.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Be careful what you wish for......

If either of them does you'll be unable to buy anything but cheap Chinese junk.
    Isn't that about all you can buy now anyway?

Even 25 years ago, you could only get high quality marine parts from Freeport Marine. Everybody else had the plastic SeaRay quality stuff. Now its even more difficult to find "Hatteras worthy" parts. You have to call Sams or search for days to find what you need.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Harbor Freight quality on a Hatteras?!?!

Sky, not all Chinese stuff is anywhere near the same quality, and harbor Freight is down there in the 25th percentile. For non-mission critical, once-in awhile use, they are a good buy.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

My local Cleveland WM "used" to price match. While i was at the FLIBS show 2 years ago I called them from the electronics tent for a price match. They honored. 2 weeks later i ran into the store and asked for a price match and they said "they don't do that anymore" i walked out. That was the last time i went in there. I second MikeP- im not runnig around for "my" business anymore... let them compete for it.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY