Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RePower of 1991 52" CPMY

I am in the process of repowering my 1991 52' CPMY Hatt with QSM-11 Cummins. They were rebuilt by Cummins and will be warranteed till 2014. My 8v92's decided to die. Also replacing the gen. in the turmoil. If there is any interest I will post pics and my experience as I go along.

Re: RePower of 1991 52" CPMY

would love to see the pics and follow the repower.

I am definetly interested as I almost bought one of those. Instead I got a 54 Viking MY or SY as Viking calls it. Very similiar layout. I have always wondered what would be the best way to remove and replace the engines. Did you go out the side of the hull or up and out the top of the boat? Who all is doing the work? Also that is a heavy boat and don't you have the deep reduction gears and 5 bladed propellors? Did you change the gears and if so is it the same reduction ratio? Good luck and keep us posted.

We love repower projects! Take lots of pics and post often.
    Jack Sardina

5. Re: RePower of 1991 52" CPMY

Absolutely interested...anything HATT gets lots of attention here..especially owners taking care of their "babies"...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Just a quick follow-up. I have used A Complete Diesel (Rob Dannis) from Port Salerno, Fl as my only mechanic since the day I sea trialed this boat. He has also done major work for several of my fellow boaters and everyone has been satisfied with his work and pricing. Even though I have a fiberglass top over my helm he believes that he will be able to tilt that up and, using a crane go through the fly bridge floor then the salon's floor. He then plans to remove the Detroits and gen and then put in the Cummins and new gen. The way a 1991 52' CPMY is built the windows are about 6" short on height or we would have been able to take out the salon window and 'just' gone through there with minimum of fiberglass work to remove and replace the motors. But then they never make the engineers that design these vessels actuall work on them. The new motors have arrived along with the gen and work will be comencing soon. I will post some pics as the project unfolds.

Also he was concerned that to go through the side of the hull could jeopardize its structural integrity.

Just curious.....why did you pick the M11's over 3406E Cats? That was the upgrade for Hatteras when they became available (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by oldawg View Post
    Just curious.....why did you pick the M11's over 3406E Cats? That was the upgrade for Hatteras when they became available (I think).
    In that power range the M11's would make more sense. Much smaller, lighter, cheaper and more fuel efficient. Not sure you can get reman 3406E's. There are C15's available but I would think they will be much more than the Cummins remans.
    Jack Sardina

Back in January I mentioned I was in the midst of a repower of my 1991 52' CPMY due to both engines (8V92 twin turbo 720hp) failing. Hopefully this repower will be done by mid May. I will be posting pictures here or will be posting on photobucket with a link to them. I will also be replacing my generator with Cummins and an instant on 220V water heater. Overall I am looking forward to raising my waterline due to the weight savings and lowering fuel consumption. Rob found me a pair of QSM11's that have warranties till 2014. We could have rebuilt the 8V92's at less initial cost but they would still have been 1991 engines with no warranty. It does have 5 blade props and I think they are 32".