Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $527 a pound !!

1. Re: $527 a pound !!

The last one I saw go out of Hatteras little over a week ago was right at 325 pounds dressed. My friend that caught it sent it out consigned to the broker at $30 to $35 per lb net to him. I do not know the end price yet. I do know that the price to the fisherman are in the range of what was promised to the commercial guy that I know. I think the 527 is a price for one that was almost flapping on the market floor or reflects the various layers of middle men involved plus the airfreight to get it there. For the commercial guy I know it is right at 11k for his fish, so not bad, except for the tuna.

I have not yet been able to hook into one this season just yellow and black fins. Got the tackle and the permits but haven't had the weather to seriously try more than once...

Re: $527 a pound !!

not a fisherman here so, I take it an 80 wide is one big reel! How big, how much line?

thanks

Spooled with 80lb test monofilament usually about 900+ yards. If spooled with superbraid line you could be talking around 3000 yards although most people don't fill a reel with braid. Expensive, and has drawbacks.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

thanks!

5. Re: $527 a pound !!

Most fishermen put braid on for the most amount of line but then put a section of mono as you have to have the "streach" mono gives......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Right, maybe I should rephrase: They don't completely fill with braid. Usually there's some kind of backing and, as you said, a mono topshot. Braid's lack of shock absorbing stretch can be one of the drawbacks.

1970 36C375

I'm not a big braid fan except on the deep drop rigs where your going down 600'+ and need the sensitivity to feel for bites. If its not packed down tight on a trolling reel it will dig into the line on the spool and I've seen it cut itself. Its hard on guides and can cut thru a finger like a band saw. If you fight a big fish with a lot of drag pressure It can pack the reel so hard the spool can crack unless you let it out again and the reload the spool. Like scrod said a lot of drawbacks. I remember going with my dad up to Montauk in the 60's and seeing guys up there catching giant bluefin on 14/o senators and linen line.They didnt need all this newfangled stuff.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

This is a 80 STW which is the 2 speed version. We had a big rainstorm move over us while we were fighting the fish.

Last edited by rsmith; 01-07-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

That's a classic telephone pole you're using there.

Very Al Glassell looking. I like it!

1970 36C375