Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should my boat have a tittle?

When I bought my 76 46 Sportfish 3 years ago the owner at the time told me he had the boat for 18 years and has never had a tittle. So we had the documentation changed over to my name and he gave me a bill of sail and his registration. He said just go to the New Jersey dmv and transfer the registration. Since I knew him and the boat for over 10 years I be believe him. And I still know him, but he swears he never had a tittle. I went to DMV and they say there should be a tittle. I have always renewed the documentation but never registered it because I did not use the boat much and didn't want to go through the trouble. But now I want to straighten it out. Any info would be helpful.

Re: Should my boat have a tittle?

If he doesn't have the title, he should still be able to get a replacement title. The DMV office can tell you if it is still titled in his name.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Your boat is registered and documented with the federal government. You do not have a title for your boat.

If you need to see the owner history, order a report through the NVDC (Nat'l Vessel Documentation Center).

Here's the information:

(3 of 3) Vessel Name: THE ROYAL WAVE IV USCG Doc. No.: 574998
    Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
    Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: WXX2274
    Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: 46 C 361
    Ship Builder: AMF HATTERAS YACHTS Year Built: 1976

Length (ft.): 46.1
    Hailing Port: HASBROUCK HEIGHTS NJ Hull Depth (ft.): 6.2
    Owner: IGNAZIO DEPINTO
    Hull Breadth (ft.): 14.7
    Gross Tonnage: 28
    Net Tonnage: 22
    Documentation Issuance Date: July 21, 2010 Documentation Expiration Date: July 31, 2011

Previous Vessel Names: FOREVER SINGLE II
    Previous Vessel Owners: IGNAZIO DEPINTO
    JOHN VACCA
    Last edited by J's Dream; 04-10-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    When I bought my 76 46 Sportfish 3 years ago the owner at the time told me he had the boat for 18 years and has never had a tittle. So we had the documentation changed over to my name and he gave me a bill of sail and his registration. He said just go to the New Jersey dmv and transfer the registration. Since I knew him and the boat for over 10 years I be believe him. And I still know him, but he swears he never had a tittle. I went to DMV and they say there should be a tittle. I have always renewed the documentation but never registered it because I did not use the boat much and didn't want to go through the trouble. But now I want to straighten it out. Any info would be helpful.
    It varies from state to state. If your friend had the boat in NY there wouldn't be a title for a 1976 boat. NJ would have a title for it. It there wasn't a title issued from the previous owners state then NJ will generate a title when you register it. I've been through this a few times before. I live in NJ and have had boats in both NY and NJ. I used to live down the road from you in Rutherford.
    Jack Sardina

my essay is about when some friends and i where at my cottage this summer and we got trapped out boating in a huge storm and the "lesson" was that we should have listened to my parents that said not to go out and i really cant think of a good title for it!

Wow J's Dream, how did you get all that info on me. And are you shur it was a good idea to post it. I'm feeling a little violated. I know it's public record but most people don't go look.

7. Re: Should my boat have a tittle?

First, anybody can look up that information at the USCG national documentation center online. There is nothing private there.

If you have the registration, then the boat was titled in that state.

Before you get a new title, you need to figure out what state to register the boat in. You don't re register the boat in NJ if you live and boat out of that state.

If you use the boat primarily in one state, check that state's registration requirements online. If you live in another state, also check that state's regististration requirements. Then prepare to pay sales tax on your boat.

A good idea to read "To document or not" here:
    http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17410
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 04-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

If you're feeling violated, you should remove your boat from documentation and go back to state registration. I'll remove your address from the post...but FYI, just about everyone on this site has the ability to get this information quickly and easily on ANY documented vessel.

I'll even get you caught up. Here's the link.
    http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html
    Last edited by J's Dream; 04-10-2011 at 02:59 PM.

I checked every boat I was looking at when boat shopping. You can even get financial info if you order an abstract of title.

As for the title the age of the boat and the state of registration will dictate whether or not there would be a title. I've bought boats in Nj that had a title and then after registering in NY no more title
    Jack Sardina

Its my understanding that Federal Documentation trumps a state title. In Maryland, you MAY NOT HAVE both. If your Maryland titled boat becomes documented, you are supposed to surrender the title to the State of Maryland.

Registration is a different issue. In Maryland, Federally Documented boats get registered as a means of proving that the state excise tax was paid by the owner. Maryland tax is paid only once, but the registration renews every 2 years for $10. for which you receive a colorful sticker.

I would assume most states are somewhat similar in their procedures.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"