Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cruisair Salon Compressor not running

I have three remote compressors in the forward bilge closet- 1each for forward and aft staterooms and one for the Salon. The largest in the salon stopped kicking on shortly after we rolled over to heat from cool this season. The Salon AC has two air handlers up in the salon, both fans blow fine. One cooling pump feeds all three compressors and it starts and runs fine when any system is set to "Start". However, when the Salon AC/Heat is rolled over to "Run" the compressor does not kick in. We get a click at the switch cabinet in front of all 3 compressors, and we get a click at the compressor, but compressor does not run and does not throw the breaker. Initial assumption is that the problem is between the switch and the compressor-- one dock mate suggested a capacitor or similar between live power coming to compressor and compressor kicking on. System is Cruisair, unit is probably 16,000 BTU or thereabouts, was replaced or rebuilt sometime in last 20 years. I could use some guidance on trouble shooting and R & R tips- my first time around on A/C. --what to disconnect when and how to protect system and environment as I pull it out--Many thanks--
    Kent Bracken
    "Sea Lion"
    1976 Bertram 42 Aft Cabin FB Motoryacht

Re: Cruisair Salon Compressor not running

It's typical to have burnt connections in the older systems with three knob controls...

Since it's a Bertram (They didn't use a PWX power relay on the 16K units like Hatt did) I would start at the back side of the cabin control as the control (without the PWX power relay) carries the compressor's full amperage load, and those connections tend to weaken first...

Next look in the electrical box on the condensing unit (in-between the service valves) for a bad/burnt wire connections (Models starting with WFAH)...

If the model # starts with WJAH then the main electrical box may be remote mounted up to 4 ft away, and there is also connections to the high pressure switch under a small metal cover (box) in-between the service valves that requires a 1/4" nut driver to remove the two screws that hold it to the base plate....Those were also known to burn up...

Steve~
    Last edited by spcoolin; 01-04-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks, Steve. I replaced the three knob control in the salon during the salon upgrade last year, for cosmetic reasons but also due to a very good price from AER in Houston. So that control is new. It also sounds like the connection in the main electrical box (about a foot in front of all three units) is getting through as I get a firm click there and a simultaneous click up on the Compressor unit. So I think the issue could be the high pressure switch. I will check that next. Thanks, Kent
    Kent Bracken
    "Sea Lion"

Just because the Three Knob control is new I wouldn't overlook it...
    It still could have had a loose connection on one of the push on terminals that heated up...
    Problems are very common there, new or old, and it's always best to wiggle each one before putting the control into service...Those male female spades do seem to spread a bit and a loose one will show up when you wiggle it.

Steve~

Unhappy Re: Cruisair Salon Compressor not running

Checked all the connections on the replaced 3 knob controller and they are great. Pulled the electrical cover off the face of the condensing unit in the bilge and started the system and checked all the connections there with the unit in Run mode but bilge unit not running. went upstairs to add photos to this email and heard a pop from the bilge. Went back down and found electrical component on compressor had broken open and the green wire from it to a second unit has melted the insulation on the wire. Have attached before and after pictures here. 3 pics. 1 is controller box in front of 3 units, second is before shot of electrical on salon unit. And third is post "pop" with damaged component and melted wire visible. clearly a problem. Can you tell me what the unit is that ruptured and whether its the cause or a symptom from somewhere else?
    thanks, Kent
    Kent Bracken
    "Sea Lion"

Pictures attached...
    Attached Images
    Kent Bracken
    "Sea Lion"

Look close at the cylinder shaped black electrical component near the middle of the last pic. The top is blown off and the green wire from that to the taller green component is melted.
    Kent Bracken
    "Sea Lion"

Quote Originally Posted by Genevatexan View Post
    Look close at the cylinder shaped black electrical component near the middle of the last pic. The top is blown off and the green wire from that to the taller green component is melted.
    That would be one of the capacitors. I believe there is a Start and Run capacitor, just like at home. Common failure. If you're lucky replacing that would fix it, but I am no Steve.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Start Capacitor shot, but happended after unit was already not running. Steve, here is additional picture of what I thought was the "green" wire running from the capacitor. That wire was not green. Its WHITE and it runs from the bottom left screw on the Relay. However, I cannot tell where it was supposed to terminate because it was burned and no longer connected. Please see pictures.
    Attached Images
    Kent Bracken
    "Sea Lion"

Is there a wiring diagram on the back of the box cover?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI