Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on 32 Hatteras Flybridge

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am considering the purchase of a 1984, 1985 or 1986 32' Hatteras Flybridge. I have a dock behind Kiawah Island in Charleston, South Carolina and our plan is to have fun with it around home (day cruises and such) and occasional gulf stream runs (50 miles out). I am looking at one with 454's (325 gallon capacity) and one with 3208s (265 gallon capacity). From what I have heard, range will be an issue with either. I am interested in anyone's opinon as to the boat, issues to beware of, maintenance items, etc. I am also very interested in what anyone's experience is with fuel burn, cruise speed and range. Do most of you have generators in this boat - if so, how big? Finally if anyone has had any experience repowering - either 454 to diesel or replacing the 3208s with something more modern (cost, what did you have to replace, etc). You guys have a great site and I hope to add a Hatteras vessel to my profile soon. Thanks,

blwiii

Re: Opinions on 32 Hatteras Flybridge

I have a 1966 34C which I converted from 454's to diesels two and a half years ago. Had Crusaders and went to Yanmar 260's. Both gave me about the same top end, but the fuel burn is considerably less. What would you like to know?
    George

Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRA VI
    I have a 1966 34C which I converted from 454's to diesels two and a half years ago. Had Crusaders and went to Yanmar 260's. Both gave me about the same top end, but the fuel burn is considerably less. What would you like to know?
    George

Thanks for the reply George. I was just looking for some general opinions of the 32 Flybridge (produced from 1983 to 1987 or so) specifically. Is it a good boat, what kind of range does it have, are there any particular maintenance or performance issues that anyone knows about, etc. Just looking for the perspective of others before I pull the trigger. Thanks again,

Bryan

Bryan,
    I can't really answer any questions about the 32 as I have little knowledge of this model. One thing I think I read is that some Hatteras models in the 1980s had cored hull sides. I don't know if the 32 had this or not, but I would definately try to find out.
    George

I have a 1967 34c, power with 454's. she is a pig with gas but the engines are not trouble. diesel conversion for mine would cost around 80k. cant afford that so we will keep feeding the hungry 454's and besides you cant beat the sound of a pair of big blocks with 5" pipes.

we have an onan 4.0 mcck gen. it has enough power for everything we have. if I was ever to replace it, I would go with westerbeke, 5kw. they are fuel injected and produce almost no emissions and are very CO safe.

If I had the money to re power, I would go with yanmar 315's or cummins 330's. however fit is also an issue. Ours are under salon floor and I dont want to raise the floor as some owners have done.

I bought a 1984 32’ Hatteras Express (same hull but no Flybridge) new in 1984 powered with 454 Crusaders (350 HP). Put a Piepwelders Tuna Tower on and fished her offshore of Ocean City, MD for 10 years when I traded her for a 46’ Hatteras Convertible. Love both boats – Hatteras has always made a great product and their people are always super helpful with any needed info no matter how old the boat is.

I had very few problems with my 32 and always felt very comfortable offshore frequently in some fairly nasty weather. The boat is heavy for a 32 but I guess that’s what makes it such a great little sea boat when the weather gets nasty as it so often does in our neck of the woods. The penalty for the weight is reflected in speed and fuel consumption. Most of our runs were to the local canyons (Washington/Baltimore/Poor Mans) about 60 miles. We ran the boat hard (85-90% off top end) cruising about 21 kts with fuel burn of about 38 gals per hour. Therefore 50 mile day trips should not be a problem. But I always like lots of fuel so I had a 50 gallon stainless steel tank fabricated and installed in the lazerette just in case I hooked up with that big one that would keep me chasing after it until late at night. The trade off was to not have an in-deck fishbox or a generator, although I believe you could get a small one in between the engines. But then it’s a real pain in A_ _ to service engines and generator.

Diesels would be great but at the time I bought mine the upgrade from Crusaders to the 3208’s was an additional 50 grand – hard to justify for a boat that totally tricked out was about 120 grand , not to mention that fuel back then was relatively cheap by today’s prices. If you can find and afford the diesel go for it – much better economy, range and longevity with essentially the same performance.

Good Luck – it really is a nice little boat, I enjoyed the hell out of mine for 10 years.

Paul

Bought a 1983 new in 1984 and have used it in the SCUBA charter business on Lake Michigan for 21 years and still looks new. One hell of a boat. Your boat with the increased fuel is a little unusual as the standard tankage was 265 gals. Not a particularly economical nor fast (.46/.65 mpg loaded) and 18-20 kts (loaded) with top speed of little over 24 knots. No generator on mine as the weight of gear and divers more than equates to the weight of any generator. With a full load of gear and divers cockpit supports 3000/4000 lbs. The only real problem I have encountered is with the cockpit. When originally made in 1983, circular hatches with inspection plates were the norm. Over the next 13 years water penetrated the interface between the hatch ring and cockpit sole. The cockpit sole was balsa cored. Although sealed with calking (rarely achieve 100% seal) and with the freezing and thawing we get during the winter time, eventually the balsa core became saturated and turned to mush. Replace cockpit sole with Nidacore and now have a cockpit sole thats 4" thick and can support an elephant. Nidacor is great stuff and have not figured out why Hatteras doesnt use it as a matter of course. My boat is bused strictly for business and has only 886 hours
    on the 454's. Switched to electronic ignition and said goodby and good riddance to the Mallory ignition points etc which were not very durable.
    My only regret is the boat doesn't have diesels but back than the upgrade to 3208's was $50K and not justified unless running 360 days a year as the cost would never be recouped. Been caught in 60 know gales 20 miles offshore and never feld apprehensive about the boat. I took a hell of a beating but the boat came out fine. If you ever get the chance to tour the Hatteras plant do so and you will easily understand why any Hatteras commands such a premium price. I've thoroughly enjoyed my 32 and would not part with it
    unless a GREAT deal on a little larger Hatteras came along. You can't go wrong on your choice and the Hatteras family is great to work with and I can't say enought about Steve McPhearson of Sam's Marine, the truly great source for info and parts for older Hatteras. Good luck and enjoy!

All other things being equal, or nearly equal, buy the diesel boat. Rebuilt 3208s are not expensive if you need them. Modern equivalent would be 3126s, in Cats, or Cummins B engines. Either would make the boat faster and also more sparing with fuel. Gas to diesel repower- my choice would be Cummins or Yanmar.
    The 32 is a pretty typical small Hatteras- solidly built, not blindingly fast but quick with the right motors, and very sturdy- will get you home intact if it is at all possible. Good boats. Have fun.

I looked at one of those recently as a trade down - unfortunately it had led a very hard life and I passed on it. What I was considering, and this boat seemed a decent candidate for, (and I cannot find the website for it again!!!) was the conversion where a single 450 hp (or whatever) Yanmar was put in the center of the boat and connected to both transmissions. Shifting remained independent, and the sole drawback ( other than having no spare engine to get you home) was that the props always turned at the same RPM. Seemed like something you could get used to. It looked like a very well thought out design and seemed like something that in todays economy would be a excellent alternative for boats like this. The cost was about 1/2 of a diesel repower and performance was comparable. For alot of these smaller gas boats that are going to end up spending alot more time at the dock this is an interesting idea. Has anyone actually Seen one of these systems in operation or heard how they perform in the real world?

I own a 1983 32' sportfish w/ 454 mercs.
    I both fish and cruise the boat on the west coast
    of Florida. What do you want to Know?
    Mike