Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Gas engines rebuild cost?

Longblocks would be fine especially if you run only 40 hours a year. You can also drop in a small diesel ( I have a buddy at Yanmar that told me that have a drop in replacement for just a bit more than a gas engine price)
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Red face Re: Gas engines rebuild cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Longblocks would be fine especially if you run only 40 hours a year. You can also drop in a small diesel ( I have a buddy at Yanmar that told me that have a drop in replacement for just a bit more than a gas engine price)
    I'd sure be interested in that! Last time I spoke with the Yanmar Dealer...they wanted $75k for two 315hp w/gears installed. And that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outta my budget!
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Quote Originally Posted by 67hat34c View Post
    Give them the full exam, Compression , look at plugs to see how it is burning, leak down if you think there is an issue.

I agree with pulling OP sender and putting in new one and test with another gauge.

if they are Crusader model 350's and HE cooled then 1400 hours is not that bad.

Now if you want to have them perfect then balance and blue print and update with Edelbroch carbs and electronic distrubutors etc then get another 35yrs out of them. Balanced and blue printed is "free extra power" and will be better than long block.
    They are Chris Craft Marine Power 454's w/330HP.
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Quote Originally Posted by ohiohatteras View Post
    They are Chris Craft Marine Power 454's w/330HP.

At 3K RPM I bet they generate about 100 HP. Check your PM. I have an idea.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Not familiar with CC engine, dont know if they used the GM industrial block or not. Crusader used the GM Industrial block that has 4bolt main and some other more beefy stuff, little more hp @350.

I suspect yours are the automotive blocks with 2bolt mains and if so would go with long block.

I would not do anything until I ran a compression test. If that turns out OK. I would invest in new Edelbroch carbs, ( their great) electronic ignition, plugs, wires, larger flame arresters and let them fly. From what you say you don't run them hard. But with the new carbs, plugs, wires, ignitions and larger flame arresters your going to get a lot better fuel usage. Labor is the biggest cost to pull and rebuild. Your near Toledo call Motor rebuilders and see what they want to rebuild. They have done well with many of my friends. I also have an older friend in Point place that's all he does is rebuild marine engines. I would be more adpt to trust a local rebuild than an outside purchase should there be any problems.

BILL

Make sure the rebuilder knows how to do marine engine rebuilds. There are different rebuild kits ect.

1400 hours is entry level for these tough engines. We have 1400 on ours and they check out as new. I really am puzzled by your low oil preassure readings on BOTH engines. Those original AC gages are junk, but if they both read low, I suspect that your DC voltage is low. Those gages are actually re-labled volt meters. Do hook up a mechanical gage before you jump to any conclusions. Don't be afraid to run them at full throttle for a few minutes. You need to do that to make sure they are turning between 4100 and 4500 RPM. Try using 20W40 Shell Rotella oil also. They should not be ready for overhaul for another 1000 hours.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Cool Re: Gas engines rebuild cost?

I fully agree with Maynard. Use mechanical gauges run compression check, if all is good run 'em for another 1,500 hours.

DC

Wink Re: Gas engines rebuild cost?

Quote Originally Posted by DLCameron2 View Post
    I fully agree with Maynard. Use mechanical gauges run compression check, if all is good run 'em for another 1,500 hours.

DC
    It's now officially on my TO DO list for spring commissioning!
    Thanks guys!
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH