Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Gas engines rebuild cost?

Since my oil pressure is on the way down....been think it's about time to rebuild my original 35yr old, 1400 hour 454's!

I know most of you guys all have the big money Hatt's with diesels....but have any of you done the project and have a "ballpark" cost?
    Other than having marina pull the motors with the forklift.....planning on doing most of the work myself....even tho last motor I rebuilt was over 20 years ago!
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

2. Re: Gas engines rebuild cost?

Is it engines or gauges?

Are both engines displaying low oil pressure or one?....If one, I'd try reversing the sender wires to the gauges, between port and starboard and see if the readings are the same are before switching....could just be a guage or sender.

Are you burning oil...any smoke? Engines still turning up proper RPM and starting as normal??

Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Gas engines rebuild cost?

If you are doing it yourself - the cost to rebuild a 454 is not very high - should be able to do one for no more than 1500 bucks in parts pretty easily ASSUMING there is no damage to major components - block/heads/crank, etc. Otherwise it's just a standard rebuild - bearings/rings/valve job, etc.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Unless you have nothing better to do with your time I'd get a exchange long block and just swap your manifolds and parts. The last couple gas motors I put in my trucks were GM factory new crate motors. Their prices if you can get a discount are close to RB's and then u can sell the cores.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Is oil pressure fine when running? Run it till she blows!

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Unless you have nothing better to do with your time I'd get a exchange long block and just swap your manifolds and parts.
    Agreed. In my last boat, I installed a Jasper reman long block (350 ci). Ran flawlessly. Reman long blocks are in the $2-3 boat buck range. They come fully tested and with a guarantee.

If you go this route, make sure you match what you are replacing or else things that don't come with the long block may also need to be replaced.
    Last edited by fissioneng; 12-28-2010 at 10:42 PM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Long block. It will cost less than doing it yourself.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Is it engines or gauges?

Are both engines displaying low oil pressure or one?....If one, I'd try reversing the sender wires to the gauges, between port and starboard and see if the readings are the same are before switching....could just be a guage or sender.

Are you burning oil...any smoke? Engines still turning up proper RPM and starting as normal??

BOTH gauges are showing low (18 to 20psi) running at 3k rpms. Haven't checked them otherwise yet. Not burning any oil. And not sure if they turn to proper rpm's cuz I don't run them past 3300.....
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Something doesn't sound right. I would validate those readings with a known good mechanical gauge.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Give them the full exam, Compression , look at plugs to see how it is burning, leak down if you think there is an issue.

I agree with pulling OP sender and putting in new one and test with another gauge.

if they are Crusader model 350's and HE cooled then 1400 hours is not that bad.

Now if you want to have them perfect then balance and blue print and update with Edelbroch carbs and electronic distrubutors etc then get another 35yrs out of them. Balanced and blue printed is "free extra power" and will be better than long block.