Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Re: AC electrical problem getting crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by J's Dream View Post
    Karl,

That tool is nick-named a "widow-maker" in the industry. For someone with little knowledge or understanding, this tool can and will get someone killed. Best advice is to call a qualified electrician.

Jason
    If you're using it as described here (trying to figure out WHERE the energized line stops being energized) and NOT to verify whether power is off before working on something I don't see the issue.

Using one as a means of verifying whether power is off on a circuit you THINK you turned off (e.g. with a breaker but you're not sure you got the right one) is, as you mentioned, a good way to end up dead. And as mentioned repeatedly if you're uncomfortable working around line-voltage things (or for that matter high-current 12-48V things too) call someone qualified - it's not really all that hard to wind up seriously injured or worse working around electricity.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: AC electrical problem getting crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by REBEL View Post
    Tic Tracers were outlawed in the electrical industry years ago. They are a "cheater" to see if a circuit is alive or not. Once the circuit is off, it needs to be verified by a trusted meter, and if its hot enough, checked with a second known meter. I wouldnt stake my life against a meter thats made in Japan. Even if the line is off, we work between two grounds with a hot stick hooked on as a backup warning. The hot stick has to be verified at the beginning of every shift as well, with a second known good hotstick.
    I had a co-worker lose a hand from a pinhole in his leather covered rubber linemans gloves. Electricity knows no quiting time. Rebel
    That's why I use a Fluke. I keep my cheap Radio Shack meter on the boat for basic stuff, but when I need to be certain of the accuracy I break out the good meter.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by J's Dream View Post
    As for you, Pascal...if a question is presented like this, it indicates to me that the original poster is not familiar with troubleshooting electricity. So, yes...HIRE A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN. Are you willing to say to him..."eh, go ahead, nothing will happen...you won't get hurt."? I'm not going to tell him that.

i never said that! I simply assumed the OP was aware that working on electrical system required certain precautions.

i'll stand by my statement that using the insulated probes of a multimeter on live circuit is something a boat owner should be able to do as long as he is careful and use common sense. calling the pro is fine but if you're 300NM from your home port it's easier said than done. troubleshooting electrical system is a basic boating skill.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    i never said that! I simply assumed the OP was aware that working on electrical system required certain precautions.

Do you know Mario? Have you met him? Discussed his knowledge? I certainly haven't...and would never "assume" someone knows to take precautions. I work in retail...and from what I've learned over the years is that few if any people have/use common sense. Being careful and using common sense are things you LEARN...I personally don't know if Mario (or you) have learned..........

The original poster's text indicates he's completely unfamiliar with electricity.
    Giving him bad advice can get him killed.
    Assuming he knows the basics qualifies as very bad advice.
    Assuming ANYTHING on an old boat is done right can get you killed. I've seen conduit being used for the neutral!
    Anyone who would expect the neutral isn't hot must have been sleeping in class the day that whole "complete circuit" concept was being discussed. The neutral is at the same potential as the hot if any circuits are completed (light dimmers on board? ZAP, you're DEAD MEAT). Circuits can be easily back-powered in ways you don't understand or see.

ALWAYS measure for voltage before working on ANY circuit with a KNOWN good meter, and understand what the meter is telling you. Is it an energized circuit or just induced voltage? You have to know how to tell the difference to safely work on any circuit with high potential, either voltage or amperage.
    Then work on the circuit as if it were live anyway.
    Safety first. You don't point unloaded guns at your head do you?
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

pascal your trying to defend your statement about neutral not killing anyone. Get over it, your wrong, fess up and get over it. Your spin doctor replies are nonsense. There are better, safer and easier ways to trouble shoot the problem with power removed. It's obvious to most people with basic electrical experience that your electrical expertise is severely limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    troubleshooting electrical system is a basic boating skill.
    Ah come on. DC electrical maybe, but certainly not AC. There will NEVER be a situation where an AC problem keeps your from getting home where it can be properly addressed by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Come on Pascal, you need to punt on this one.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Smile Re: AC electrical problem getting crazy!!

All I can add to the thread is "people in glasshouses should not throw bricks around"...it is so easy to pick on someones "good intentions" that were misplaced. This is the season for friendship and forgivness...DO IT...

Maybe this one will make sense to those who understand.

"PINO's and EINO's" should not give advice on things they barely understand themselves.

Fact of the matter is no circuit is ever dead. No gun is ever unloaded. No wife is oh forget that one here.

There is never a reason to probe a live high voltage circuit. If you get an inductive tone generator and put it on the output of the breaker you can trace the wire to wherever it goes and back if it's going through devices to neutral or ground. This generator will allow you to trace the circuit safely and even test switched. I have used one many times but FIRST UNPLUG THE BOAT. ( and disconnect the inverter if you have one ).

Free advice may only be worth what you pay for it so be careful about who you listen to and always double check.

Now what happened to my post from last night?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ive been watching this post for 54 posts. Does this guy have a bad outlet, bad breaker, or a broken wire? rebel