Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Preparing/painting engine parts

Now that I have my a portion of cooling system disassembled, I want to begin to clean up the parts, and get them ready for painting.

I understand I have to remove the rust and treat it with something like naval jelly or phosphoric acid before I can proceed. What do you recommend to strip the old paint off as quickly and painlessly as possible without damaging the parts? I can work on this stuff outside, except for the expansion tank, itself, which I'm not planning to remove - that one will have to be done in the engine room.

The parts are made of what appears to be bronze (well, the inside plates of the expansion tank look like bronze). One piece looks like aluminum (the tranny cooler piece that came off the expansion tank). One of the pipes is a smooth gold-colored metal; I thought bronze wasn't smooth, but I don't think this would be brass.

Thanks, guys!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: Preparing/painting engine parts

Best is to degrease then sand blast.
    If no sand blaster then scrape and use wire wheel then ospho then zinc chromate primer and then paint with Rustoleum Pro- Good high temp paint and very good gloss.

I like to paint very heavy and then bake in oven, can make poor mans oven with duct board shiney side in and a 100w light bulb. Bring items up to 180 degrees for an hour or so.

I don't usually bother to remove all the old paint under the premise that old but soundly bonded paint is as good or better than what you will put on. I scrape the part all over with a metal putty knife and/or screwdriver. The objective is to scrape off all the old paint that wishes to leave and all flaky rust. Pay particular attention to scrape from the bare/rusted surface onto the painted surface. Often corrosion has wicked under existing paint along these edges - if so a good scraping will flake the "almost" loose paint off.

After the scrapping I use a short bristle SS brush all over the part. I prefer the ones that look like a large tooth brush. The better ones I have found have a black plastic handle, but some have wooden handles. This brushing will remove loose "rust dust" and burnish both bare metal and previously painted surfaces.

After brushing wipe down with a solvent. I prefer lacquer thinner, but often use acetone. Odorless mineral spirits is OK too, but it takes longer to evaporate and is not as "hot" as the other two and won't etch the old paint as well. The wipe down may reveal more loose/raised paint at the bare metal to painted interface. If so, scrape and brush those areas again unit you are sure all remaining paint really wishes to stay in place.

I then apply Ospho (phosphoric acid wash) and let it work. Wipe down again, then use a small paint brush (or an even smaller acid brush in small/tight areas) to prime with Rustoeum Rusty Metal Primer (dark brown/red oil based primer). Let the primer dry well as stated in your previous thread. Top coat with the oil based paint of your choice. I have found this system to work very well.

For the parts that are off the engine you can make the paint almost indestructable by baking them in the oven at about 200 deg F for a couple of hours (after the finish coat has dried). It will stink up the place, but baking the oil based enamel makes it very hard, much like powder coating.

Have fun!

Got Air? Needle scalers work pretty well too if you dont know a sand blaster. Wear glasses... the paint chips fly all over the place. Personally, I would soak them in paint stripper, get them clean, then wash in acid... I prefer muriatic, but with the aluminum stuff ya gotta work fast. Clean, clean, clean! Thats the moral. For primer, since you are in the sargasso sea, I would use a zinc rich primer like galvanizing in a can. Rustoleo makes a good one. It dries in minutes, especially in the sun.
    Take a swipe with a bastard file on the gasket surfaces to make sure they are flat. Another old trick is to take them to a concrete pad and rub them in a figure 8 pattern. FLAT AND CLEAN... like 100% or youll have a leak.

http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/1018990%20RO-11.pdf

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-nee...aler-1108.html

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-22-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

67 Hatt ...... Great tip for making a "poor man's" paint baking oven. Thanks. Also Bill... Good advice as well.....

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    After brushing wipe down with a solvent. I prefer lacquer thinner, but often use acetone.
    If you're doing this in the engine room, make sure you have some air moving around and don't inhale too many of these fumes. You can get light headed quickly. Fumes from the oil based paints can get to you too.

Also, make sure no one's smoking close by, especially around lacquer thinner. KABOOM is certainly possible . Don't make any sparks either.

If you're outside, never mind.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Guess what I'll be cookin' for Christmas?

Can it possibly smell any worse than that Penray offline cleaner?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by fissioneng View Post
    If you're doing this in the engine room, make sure you have some air moving around and don't inhale too many of these fumes. You can get light headed quickly. Fumes from the oil based paints can get to you too.

Also, make sure no one's smoking close by, especially around lacquer thinner. KABOOM is certainly possible . Don't make any sparks either.

If you're outside, never mind.

I crank the engines up when I'm painting. Gets rid of those nasty fuems quick. And the engine heat bakes the paint on.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

When I had Daybreaks engine room detailed the guy covered the hoses with aluminum foil. It is cheap, molds to any form and holds it shape. I've since done additional detailing myself and used this trick. It was super easy, no masking tape, no paper, just wrap and paint. Just thought I'd add that bit since you might be putting on a like new shiney part on a not so shiney engine and want to have a Sistine Chapel like engine room.

Ben

That works pretty well, but keep away from starter and alternator contacts! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults