Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Alternator Parts

We have Leece-Neville Co. flange mounted alternators on our 6-71TIs. They are 90 amp, 14v, pn 8923597, service parts type 3525JC, complete model number A001090652.
    We tossed one on the bank coming over to the Abacos, and I need the guts to get this thing going again.
    Anyone have a lead on a place where I can get diodes, regulators, etc. for these things?
    Regards
    Dan

Cool Re: Alternator Parts

HI Dan:

Try contacting Dan at: http://heavy-truck-parts-and-service...-electric.html

Let us know how it works out.

DC

Re: Alternator Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    We have Leece-Neville Co. flange mounted alternators on our 6-71TIs. They are 90 amp, 14v, pn 8923597, service parts type 3525JC, complete model number A001090652.
    We tossed one on the bank coming over to the Abacos, and I need the guts to get this thing going again.
    Anyone have a lead on a place where I can get diodes, regulators, etc. for these things?

Sarasola starter and generator in Ft Pierce. Family deal, they rebuild anything on site.
    3100 N US Highway 1
    Fort Pierce, FL 34946-8746
    (772) 465-8274
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Vic's DC Electric in Stuart is another place to call. Good guy.

http://www.vicsdc.com/
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Thank you everyone. Getting this fixed is large, not huge but large. Since it is the stbd alternator, we are not in a bad way. Most of the bridge etc. is driven off the port side thank goodness.
    But if we are going to continue on, having this one taken care of so I can divert load will be a very good thing.
    Fortunately we will hang on Elbow Cay for a few months allowing time to debug and swap out parts.
    I'll try all of these folks out. Maybe they can ship us some parts.
    Regards
    Dan

Does this mean you don't have a spare? Why not send it to one of the shops and get it repaired right instead of making it a 3 month project. This way it's finished and off the worry list. Then you can enjoy the time in the islands.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

That should almost be available as an exchange. Dont forget to buy a gasket! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    Thank you everyone. Getting this fixed is large, not huge but large. Since it is the stbd alternator, we are not in a bad way. Most of the bridge etc. is driven off the port side thank goodness.
    But if we are going to continue on, having this one taken care of so I can divert load will be a very good thing.
    Fortunately we will hang on Elbow Cay for a few months allowing time to debug and swap out parts.
    I'll try all of these folks out. Maybe they can ship us some parts.

If your at at Hopetown take a run over to Man-o-war they do a lot of boatbuilding and repairs over there. I'm sure someone named Aubury can help you.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

9. Re: Alternator Parts

Always a good idea to be able to parallel your start batteries for long periods when underway for just such a problem. I added a manual battery switch so I could parallel house batts and port, house and stbd, or all three together to insure charging even if I lost an alternator.

A light duty alternative, without the ability to charge if an alternator goes out is to provide two sources for your electronics....by running another medium size wire to your most used helm and adding a selector switch.

When you have time, maybe you can find a rebuilt alternator to fit your rig or maybe find one on ebay. I ended up, after seaching for a few mos, with a $400 dollar 160 amp rebuilt Powerline alternator for about $100 from ebay as a spare. It uses the same smart regulator as my other two Powerlines so a change out would have been mostly mounting work not wiring.

For those with belt charge alternators, a spare belt or belt set is not a bad idea..especially if it fits either engine.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

The thought of shipping this back to the States scares the heck out of me since without it I cannot run the engine. It's loss would be a disaster. Thus if I can get diodes and a regulator for it, perhaps that will resolve the issue.
    Maybe I was incorrect with my description. It's shaft driven off the back end of the supercharger. Looking around on the web finding these things is like finding cavity free hen's teeth and if you do, 2k sounds like the going price? Insane. I'll add a high output belt system instead of getting a spare once this is resolved.

Are there replacement alternators that will mount up to the existing hardware because they have the proper shaft etc.?

I found a set of images that look like the part:

http://www.surplusman.com/Detail.php?itemid=4725

Out of curiousity, can one pull the regulator and jumper the wires to see if the regulator swap will resolve this?

By the way the stbd side alternator is only driving gauges etc. and the generator will charge the battery with its alternator (small as it is though). The only issue is starting the genny and the house bank (2 8D AGMs) have a parallel switch to the engine battery so I have some capability there as well. I have a switch installed and a wire to dual/1/2 the engine batteries to the house as well, but I need to add an additional wire to another switch and its full.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 12-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.
    Regards
    Dan