Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boat Prices

Boat Prices

A good friend has decided to upgrade from a 50 Dancer to a convertible style boat in the upper 50's. Since I really like spending other people's money I went boat shopping with him. We made appointments to view last Saturday a 55 and 58 Viking and a 57 Ocean. They ranged from 2000 to 2004 and all priced in the upper 900k. To make a long story never ending I was talking with the broker about the 57 Ocean (2004, Cats 800+hrs). He stated that in the current market the owner would take substantially less for the boat, I tossed a figure of 500k and the broker replied "no, but he would take 550". Really! Half off the listing price! It made it very tempting even for a "Flexible Flyer". Next week we are going to look at a 2000 60 Hatt C in LaSalle mi offered at 974k, I wonder if they will discount the Hatt 50%!

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Re: Boat Prices

Quote Originally Posted by chris piazza View Post
    A good friend has decided to upgrade from a 50 Dancer to a convertible style boat in the upper 50's. Since I really like spending other people's money I went boat shopping with him. We made appointments to view last Saturday a 55 and 58 Viking and a 57 Ocean. They ranged from 2000 to 2004 and all priced in the upper 900k. To make a long story never ending I was talking with the broker about the 57 Ocean (2004, Cats 800+hrs). He stated that in the current market the owner would take substantially less for the boat, I tossed a figure of 500k and the broker replied "no, but he would take 550". Really! Half off the listing price! It made it very tempting even for a "Flexible Flyer". Next week we are going to look at a 2000 60 Hatt C in LaSalle mi offered at 974k, I wonder if they will discount the Hatt 50%!

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C
    Not likely since that is already on the low side but it may go in the 800's. It all depends on the seller's situation. Sportfish over 50' are a tough sell right now. Even if you are selling under market, there are very few willing and able buyers. Comps are hard to get since many models have seen few to no sales in the past 2 years. Have your broker pull some sold listings for you including the number of units sold in the past 2 years. Many of the bargain priced boats are bank owned or short sales and can be difficult to deal with. There are a few nice 58 Vikings out there that can be bought in the 400-500K range. 550K for an '04 57 Ocean with 800hp Cats is about right, maybe even a bit high. I know of a very clean low hour one that went for 575K 2 years ago. Take a look at the 55 Hatts. There are a few that look good in the 700's. Not as fast as the Vikings or Oceans, but they'll cruise 28-30kts with 3412 Cats. Good luck and let us know what he ends up with.
    Jack Sardina

I saw a 01 60c at Flib with $849K/offers on it. The show was a gost town (not just because it was halloween lol) Whith the fuel prices soaring in the last couple weeks I wouldnt be ashamed to make any unreasonable offer.
    Ive fished on a bunch of flexible flyers and vikings and wouldnt ever own anything but a hatt. Look in to some of the blister problems on these boats.The hulls are so thin on some of these boats the blisters almost go right thru.Hatts had a few problems too like the gen3 50 but no where near as bad. I have to admit the fit and interior finish is superb on the vikings but I'll take solid over glitz anyday.
    Course the dancer is only worth about fifty bucks LOL
    Last edited by rsmith; 11-24-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Oh I had no intentions of buying the Ocean and I steered my friend away also, I am aware of there build quality but the admiral loved the glitz of the interior. After seeing first hand the market prices I have become VERY interested in the 60C.

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

last winter, we were docked next to a late model 60ish ocean enclosed fb which was gently rubbing on a wooden piling. the creaking noise made by that rub rail was absolutely awful, it sounded like the whole boat was falling apart. and it was only a 10kt breeze in a tight slip, i'd hate to see what woudl happen in a minor storm.

by the time i adjusted their line, the rub rail was already showing sign of damage.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The boat market is just like the FL real estate market right now--very tempting!
    Hatt owner wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    last winter, we were docked next to a late model 60ish ocean enclosed fb which was gently rubbing on a wooden piling. the creaking noise made by that rub rail was absolutely awful, it sounded like the whole boat was falling apart. and it was only a 10kt breeze in a tight slip, i'd hate to see what woudl happen in a minor storm.

by the time i adjusted their line, the rub rail was already showing sign of damage.

Hey I agree with Pascal how cha like that!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

This is the listing for the Hatt
    Yacht world YW# 16664-1452891

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I saw a 01 60c at Flib with $849K/offers on it. The show was a gost town (not just because it was halloween lol) Whith the fuel prices soaring in the last couple weeks I wouldnt be ashamed to make any unreasonable offer.
    Ive fished on a bunch of flexible flyers and vikings and wouldnt ever own anything but a hatt. Look in to some of the blister problems on these boats.The hulls are so thin on some of these boats the blisters almost go right thru.Hatts had a few problems too like the gen3 50 but no where near as bad. I have to admit the fit and interior finish is superb on the vikings but I'll take solid over glitz anyday.
    Course the dancer is only worth about fifty bucks LOL
    The newer Vikings are great boats and much better ride and quality than the older hulls. The 58 is one of their best boats and the early 00 boats are priced as high or higher than a 60C Hatt. I'd rather have the Hatt but if you look at both brands over the last few years, the Vikings are tough to beat.
    Jack Sardina

I remember when they had a big V up on the bow and made of wood.I grew up around the NJ boats Pacemaker Post Luhrs Silverton Jersey Oh chit yachts all those Leek family offshoots never measured up to Hatts stds IMO. The 58 viking is real popular here in Fla There are 4 of them in my neighborhood.Ive fished on all of them. They fish well and handle ok they just seem light to me as in the ride is lively whether trolling or running. Just seems you see more vikings with cocktail tables where the fighting chair should be.But then again I only have the boat to fish.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976