Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Allison M15 won't go forward, part II

Here is an update:

The oil pump checked out OK, but the pump rebuilder noted a stripped bolt.? That has been corrected. Also Dennis found the large suction hose was the wrong one? Changed that. Running at the dock, the gear engages properly when cold, and after 20 minutes in gear at the dock, it was still engaging correctly, but the oil was getting aerated. They are going to do a sea trial today to get the oil up to proper temperature. More to follow.

Ken has a contact at Allison who says if this hasn't fixed the issue, it is likely to be internal, dump valves or something. Big job then, I guess.

Bob Kassal
    getting the 20' Angler ready to fish the river.

At least they are making sure they do not miss a simple repair. had a shop here in town tell me way back when that I could not buy the rear seal for my velvet drive and they would probably need to rebuild the whole thing for about $1700 plus removal and re install.

Considering he never even looked at it I ran past another place who gave me the seal and installed it and replaced the coupler and the front seal and some other stuff before he bench tested it for a whopping $200.

I always like working with people who will look at the problem before telling you how bad it is.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If its internal, its going to be at the flywheel end. I cant see more than a few hundred for parts PLUS labor of course. To get the FW out tho will still require getting a damn good foot between the gear and the engine, pulling the clutches out then the flywheel itself; then theres the rear main.
    My money is still on some kind of Vacuum FM (read leak) causing aeriation. All it takes is for someone to be checking the oil or packing and tug on the wrong hose. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Well, I got the bad news this morning. The transmission began to slip after being fully warmed up. They are starting a rebuild today. I'll do the rear main seal and asked that anything else that could cause a problem in the future also be changed.

Bob Kassal
    PSL
    Ready to launch the Angler

Like the fact that they tried concervative repair first , at least you are now confident that the major repair is needed.