Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

aft cabin flooring

I recently ripped out the rug in the aft cabin in my 1985,53' Hatt MY. The plywood floor is not completely flat, filled by many small access holes and I do not want to go with vinyl or carpet as a replacement. I am using parkay teak for the rest of the flooring but it would not be appropriate for this floor. Any suggestions?

Re: aft cabin flooring

I personally like carpet in an aft cabin for comfort barefoot as well as warmth underfoot in cold weather. How about sending a picture of the area to stimulate some suggestions for alternatives?

Bob

Yes, there are several access panels there but I agree that carpet is the way to go. I pulled up the carpet to do some work and then put it back down with no trouble at all and you could never tell. As noted, it's more comfortable and I think you would prefer it in the long run.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Mike, I agree on the ease of replacing carpet. I had mine in the salon up more times that I want to remember with the engine rebuild, exhaust repair and now the tranny.... all this year. Just set it back in place and push around the tack strip with a putty knife and all's well.

Bob

Sorry to be a contrarian, but I am getting rid of all the carpet and installing Amteco teak and holly. After 28 years of replacing the carpet every 5 to 7 years I've had it. Installing new carpet in the saloon is a pain. Even using the old carpet as a template I have to cut the new piece a little large so it can be trimmed for close fit to the walls. This risks the carpet's jute backing scratching the mahogany walls. Installing carpet in the aft cabin is much worse - less carpet but many more corners, closets and nooks to fit the carpet to. The several small hatches in the aft cabin will have to be dealt with, but I'm sure the installer can make it work out. I'm sure we will put down rugs for comfort, but at least I won't have to refit new carpet again.

Never thought I cared much for hardwood flooring until recently. But having lived with them in my home for the last 20 years, I'm a convert. Easier to care for, never needs replacing, rarely needs cleaning, and when it does...no hassles.

And when clean....they even feel clean!

One caveat: Dogs slip on 'em. I hate that part. (throw rugs help)

I'm doing the boat when (IF?) I get to it.

This is certainly one of those personal things. We have Amtico teak/holly in our 53 for the helm area, stairs to galley, galley, passageway, forward stateroom and all heads. Carpet is in 3/4 of the salon and from the aft passageway door back, including the two staterooms. Seems to work quite well and the cost of re-carpeting those areas is not very much at all.

But again, it's all about what you like. Our house in NY is all hardwood floors and area rugs - we liked that better there but on the boat we prefer having some of the area carpeted.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    This is certainly one of those personal things. We have Amtico teak/holly in our 53 for the helm area, stairs to galley, galley, passageway, forward stateroom and all heads. Carpet is in 3/4 of the salon and from the aft passageway door back, including the two staterooms. Seems to work quite well and the cost of re-carpeting those areas is not very much at all.

But again, it's all about what you like. Our house in NY is all hardwood floors and area rugs - we liked that better there but on the boat we prefer having some of the area carpeted.
    Mike.
    Saw your boat today. She looks nice. Lots of Hatt's in that yard and some nice old Chris Crafts as well.
    Jack Sardina

How about Cork flooring. It's a renewable resource, comes in lots of colors and tile sizes, it's some what soft and has thermal and acoustical properties. I'm ripping out my salon carpet and installing it in the spring.
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Earlier this summer I removed the carpet from all 3 SR and companionway as well as the teak parquet from the galley. Installed Brazilain jacobs click flooring , floating over thin foam layer. Used that in the aft heads as well. Matches well with the walls, used 1/4,round mahogany along the edges

Looks good, cleaner than carpet and easy to install

Doesn't need trim around hatches, I used wire nails to hold it down on hatches, putting the nails in the tongues so they don't show
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat