Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Allison M15 won't go forward

Know a guy in our marina that used the "get home" bolts. He has a story that goes along with it that includes getting his antennas and bimini ripped off by a draw bridge. Long story short, if you use them, don't start that engine until you intend to go forward. It will be in gear, permanently until you stop it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Know a guy in our marina that used the "get home" bolts. He has a story that goes along with it that includes getting his antennas and bimini ripped off by a draw bridge. Long story short, if you use them, don't start that engine until you intend to go forward. It will be in gear, permanently until you stop it.
    Some common sense and foresight is required.
    Jack Sardina

BINGO!! Like a direct reversable with no reverse! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I know a guy. really I know the people he spoke to as I work with them and can personally vouch for their character.

I know the big question is will the tranny get past the engine where it sits?

By the way Bob. I am told she is a beautiful vessel.

Ken and Dennis will make it right.

By the way the get home bolts are to get back to the nearest safe port not to navigate on.

How many of you guys would put nails in the torque converter on the car and then drive through town?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My first boat was a 14' Custom Craft that my dad gave me when I was 13. Had a 70HP Merc with NO NEUTRAL! That's the way the engine was designed. You needed to plan your shut downs and startups. I never had a problem docking or avoiding collision. On those cold morning start ups on the St Lawrence River she would require about 3/4 throttle to get her started. Once she lit off you better be holding on because she would jump out of the water and on plane in seconds.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

By the way the get home bolts are to get back to the nearest safe port not to navigate on.

How many of you guys would put nails in the torque converter on the car and then drive through town?

How far is he going? That guy I know ran from Charlevoix to Whitehall or about 150 miles in Lake Michigan with the bolts in place. From what I understand it's not as much temporary as it is "permanent". It actually bolts the flywheel to the main forward gear to bypass the clutch mechanism. I see no problem that could occur from that. You just have no neutral or reverse.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

FWIW, the “emergency locking bolts” compress the clutch plate between the piston and drive plate. This method effectively clamps the clutch plate in the same way as when in normal use. There is no damage to the plates using the emergency engagement method, providing you have uniformly tightened the locking bolts. HOWEVER...when in use DO NOT engage reverse gear or you will damage the gear. The manual also recommends adding one additional gallon of oil to prevent over heating. I would also make certain the shift selector is in the natural position and then remove the cable connection at the control valve so you cannot engage it accidentally.

Far easier and safer to just run on one engine, re-learn use of rudder for close quarters, in my opinion, having had to that once for two days on another boat and briefly on this one. The two day adventure was up in the Sacramento delta and involved a few dockings and navigating rivers and sloughs, Mainship 43. I don't consider myself a particularly adept helmsman, either. On the Hatteras, having a thruster made a big difference, needless to say.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I ran my 46 1200 miles on one engine. Not that bad just have to plan dockings ahead as there is no second chance. I had the prop removed from the inop engine. If the prop can't be removed then lock the shaft some how.

Only 80 miles? Finish on one engine! Since you still have reverse you can shill maneuver the boat in close quarter. You have nonbridges to worry about till Jupiter and you can probably pass under 707, federal, PGA

For the rest, time them right ans you should be good since you have reverse
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat