Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

barnicles on props

ok im wondering how to clean up my props. it had been sitting a loooong time, did a quick bottom job in the water now that the boat is out the props look like crap,wasnt sure they were brass till i scraped with a screwdriver. is there any kind of acid to use to get them looking good ? or atleast smooth?

Re: barnicles on props

they were covered with barnicles but still have the remnants stuck to them

sandblast is the only thing i've found to make the paint stick
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by wmfels View Post
    ok im wondering how to clean up my props. it had been sitting a loooong time, did a quick bottom job in the water now that the boat is out the props look like crap,wasnt sure they were brass till i scraped with a screwdriver. is there any kind of acid to use to get them looking good ? or atleast smooth?
    Use a grinder with a wire wheel that will clean them up and is much better than using any kind of grinder blade or sand paper. It is also much easier and better on the shafts

Hi All,

We're a fan of the wire wheel appraoch. Fast, and it's easier on the stainless steel and bronze.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

don't use steel wire wheel

I agree with krush the wire wheel not only imbeds small particles of steel into the bronze it also seems to "smear" the metal and the paint dosent take. If you cant sandblast use a disk sander with 80 grit thats what they use at the prop shops.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

8. Re: barnicles on props

You can hand sand, orbital or disk power sand....

What's the name of the product you can "paint" or wipe on and then wipe off barnacle shells???? It's been posted here previously.

Probably a mild acid to react with calcium carbonate...marine shells....would vinegar work???
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 10-22-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

FWIW my yard used some kind of acid to clean my props during a short haul this summer. They used a sprayer to put it on. You could not get far away enough from it when they did. Literally, green smoke came off them.

After a few minutes they hosed them down with water and they looked brand new. Next time I'm there (maybe Saturday) I'll ask them what it is.

Otherwise, if it's heavy and you have to manually remove them, I would suggest the wire brush on a grinder for starters because most abrasives will clog up too quicly. Once you've got the heavy stuff off follow up with a sander to remove the rest, and any transferred steel.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I use this stuff on the lower unit of my outboards. Works ok but not great.Get a wiff of it and youl find out how the guys in the trenches in WW1 felt like.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=2339

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976