Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

fuel line cleanout

What would you all recommend for a good fuel line cleaning process? I've had the boat 3 years, certainly saw evidence of it sitting for some periods previous to my ownership, and have no idea if the lines have ever been cleaned out. Didn't know what liquids might be safe to use and how it's best done. Thanks.
    -- Paul

Re: fuel line cleanout

Get a Harbor Freight spray parts washer and use compressed air with acetone. It would also be a good idea to connect the two with compression fitttings if you feel so inclined. Have someone standby on the other end with a plastic milk jug to catch the crud. You do realize that copper is a natural boicide and crud usually wont grow inside the lines. Now OTOH if they are all rubber... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Are you talking about just cleaning the lines or the tank as well?

One of the best cleaners around for the tank and lines is Marvel Mystery Oil. BUT its cleaning action will absolutely and totally clog the filters and make life miserable for days/weeks if the tanks really need cleaning.

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd do anything if it's all working OK - I learned that lesson the hard way on my previous boat. After putting MMO in the tank the filters were clogging in 20 minutes of normal running to the point of shutting down. Put in a new set - clogged again in 20 minutes. WHAT A MESS! THis continued until I built a fuel polisher and "vacuumed" all the fuel through a Gulf Coast F1 filter. THe tanks/lines were like new afterward thanks to the detergent action of the MMO but it was not worth the time/hassle since the boat ran fine before I did it.

SO...my advice is to be very careful about "cleaning" the fuel system.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Another thought is to add vacuum gages to the Racor's and stay on top of changes.

A couple of years ago I thought I had a plug of crud in my lines. I would see high vacuum occasionally. I eventually replaced the rubber lines and that issue has gone. I now suspect I had a fuel hose whose liner was coming off and producing a sort of check valve.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY

My tanks have already been polished. I just figured it might be a good idea to do the lines at some point.

Interesting ideas. Figured you guys would all know. Thanks.
    -- Paul

Maybe I'll leave it alone...I was pretty much just going to flush out the copper. My rubber lines have already been replaced everywhere except the short section from the manifold to the Racors.
    -- Paul

How about a load of bioD?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Are you talking about just cleaning the lines or the tank as well?

One of the best cleaners around for the tank and lines is Marvel Mystery Oil. BUT its cleaning action will absolutely and totally clog the filters and make life miserable for days/weeks if the tanks really need cleaning.

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd do anything if it's all working OK - I learned that lesson the hard way on my previous boat. After putting MMO in the tank the filters were clogging in 20 minutes of normal running to the point of shutting down. Put in a new set - clogged again in 20 minutes. WHAT A MESS! THis continued until I built a fuel polisher and "vacuumed" all the fuel through a Gulf Coast F1 filter. THe tanks/lines were like new afterward thanks to the detergent action of the MMO but it was not worth the time/hassle since the boat ran fine before I did it.

SO...my advice is to be very careful about "cleaning" the fuel system.
    I would have to totally agree. If i did anythang at all change the raycors to a smaller micon and keep a eye on them they will actually catch the crud.TIM