Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Adding Water to Batteries

I have a Flo-rite system to water my batteries ( 3 banks 8v Deep Cycle ) from one location. Flo-rite recommends adding water on a fully charged battery because you will lose some water during the charging cycle. Topping off water prior to charging and not after you might lose enough water during the charge cycle to be a problem.

In Actuality I top off water each time I open my generator compartment door.
    I cycle which bank is used as the house bank and normally the last bank used will take a little water. A lot in the summer not so much in the winter.

My 2 cts, it matters how far you have discharged and what is doing the re-charge.

A consta-volt Trickle charge doesn't boil out water for the most part.

Running batteries down on the hook, is likely followed by engine alternator (think high amperage) quick charge for a fair period of time to get the battery back up, this is when I'd expect your greatest opportunity for boil off of water will occur.

My take, check after re-charging "on the hook" events in addition to a regular periodic check.

Pre-charging water check is usually for a dead battery, when lack of water may be the problem. Good practice anytime you are using a portable charger.
    Bill

Add yet another 2 cents - Last year I upgraded alternators (from 55 amp to 160 amp) and added Balmar multistage voltage regulators with remote temperature sensors on both alternator and batteries that will tamp down juice if it senses overheating on either. Prior voltage regulator was just on/off type and required I added water about 6-8 weeks. This season I haven't had to add any water - All 4 rolls's 8-D's are almost exactly where I left them at last fill up last year. Pretty nifty as they are PIA to get at. Believe the hype about multi-stage regulators - great upgrade you can make to your charging system.

Kind of a related question. We are getting ready for another long trip to Mexico and batteries are always an issue. Conventional wisdom (I think) is standard (not rolls) wet cell, lead-acid batteries should be changed out every three years no matter what. My starting bank is just short of 3 yrs old, and the house bank is 2 yrs. old. The inverter system is independent of the other batteries. So the 8 volt house and start batteries don't get drawn down much except for head use and starting the mains. Two months on the hook this summer and they seemed to hold a charge well. Any thoughts? Even though the banks are right down the center of the engine room, it's still alot of heavy lifting for an old guy. Thanks, Ross 60 EB.

We anchor out a good bit and our "normal" (non Rolls) batts lasted almost 7 years before they needed replacing. Personally, I would not consider replacing batts at 3 years as an "automatic" thing. I would replace them when they began exhibiting behavior that showed the need for it. That should be considerable time before actual failure.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I used to get 5-7 years out of a set when I had the old Sentry charger now I get 3 with my new Charles ferro charger. If you have the ability to parallel start I would do the oldest set. I did see a guy get his 12's started in the Bahamas with 3 large 12v car batts in series. Can you buy them in mexico if they drop dead on you?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Funny, even with religious watering, which is absolutely needed every three weeks, my Sentry and 819 combo has a 3 year battery replacement cycle, for both me and the PO. I have used my boat a lot, so I just chalked it up the combo of a crappy charger and heavy use. A good charger costs as much as new batteries, or more, so I haven't got around to "doing the right thing".

The Sentry is apparently performing within specs, I checked it using advice from Steve, "spcoolin". It just seems incapable of charging two different banks with two different usage profiles. Starboard bank, which always dies first, is start only for the main engine, plus feeds the 12 point monitoring system. Port is house bank and port starter.

I think I may go to two separate chargers for each bank, or float testing the Sentry and trying an Analytic. Float testing the Sentry would have great psychological rewards as well.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I have not added water all year either. The Rolls with the Outback charger have not needed a drop. This the first time that has happened, but this is the first year I have used the Outback as a charger. I called Rolls and programmed the charger to their specs. What a difference.

BTW, we anchored out quite a bit in the North Channel this summer and put over 1000nm on her, so it's not like she just sat at the dock with the charger on.

Back to the battery question: I agree that I would not replace at 3 years. I put 5 years on my Interstate 8v195's before they had to come out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Equalization charge which raises the voltage for a short time to descale the plates.
    Some charger units, e.g. in the Heart Inverter/Charger have a software driven "equalization cycle". That cycle, when engaged, puts a high voltage charge on the batts at a declining voltage value over an 8 hour period. It serves to boil up the deposits on the bottom of the batt and re-deposit them on the plates, thereby increasing the life of the battery; also lessening the chance of a short in one cell of the plates the bottom of the battery.

My understanding...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

10. Re: Adding Water to Batteries

"It serves to boil up the deposits on the bottom of the batt and re-deposit them on the plates, thereby increasing the life of the battery.."

Not so..once accumulated particles, crystals, fall from the plates they cannot be dissolved and the battery is weakened permanently. Equalization CAN reverse RECENT (soft) particle accumulation on battery plates, but even crud that has been on plates for weeks and become hardened crystals is lost permanently. When accumulated crud reaches the bottom of plates, they are shorted and the battery is a goner.

That's why all battery manufacturers recommend prompt recharge after battery use. Daily recharge is, according to battery manufactruers, best for the life of the batteries.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.