Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Adding Water to Batteries

What is the general rule of thumb? I once read about when to add water to batteries - something about either before or after the charging process. I can't remember what the rule was. Anyone recall when the "right" time is to water the batteries as it relates to the charging cycle. For example, is it better to water after the batteries have experienced a draw such as being on the hook all weekend, or is it better to water them before we leave the dock when they are fully charged? Or, does it really not matter in our boats?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: Adding Water to Batteries

The amount of water in the batteries doesn't matter AS LONG as the water is above the top of the plates. Typically, periodic checking - say monthly - is fine and adding water whenever is perfectly OK.

If you do EQ charges, and you should every few months. the level should be checked before and after the EQ since it tends to boil off some water.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    The amount of water in the batteries doesn't matter AS LONG as the water is above the top of the plates. Typically, periodic checking - say monthly - is fine and adding water whenever is perfectly OK.

If you do EQ charges, and you should every few months. the level should be checked before and after the EQ since it tends to boil off some water.
    Mike what do you mean by EQ?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Mike what do you mean by EQ?
    Equalization charge which raises the voltage for a short time to descale the plates.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Equalization charge which raises the voltage for a short time to descale the plates.
    ???????...OK...can you put that in "blonde" terms? I still don't understand...but then again, as Pascal can attest...I'm electrically challenged when it comes to DC systems. Pascal can also tell you...when he tries to explain DC stuff to me, my eyes just glaze over, and then he gives up, but there is hope...I used to be like that for many, many years with football - I was in my mid 30s before I "got it", and look at the college football junkie I am now!! LOL

Is there something I'm supposed to be doing every so often as MikeP mentioned, which I'm probably not doing? I feel like I'm missing something, here.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

just check them every month and add distilled water if they are low.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    ???????...OK...can you put that in "blonde" terms?
    OK, in "Blonde" terms...

When the battery is working, little bits of stuff (scale) collect on the plates as DC power is used.

After a while, enough stuff has collected on the plates that the battery can not produce power.

When you charge the battery, it reverses the process and the stuff sheds off the plates. Charging the battery also causes the liquid to bubble a bit and if left unchecked, this could lower the liquid level to the point the plates are exposed which will damage them. So the answer to your first question is to top off batteries BEFORE charging.

Most chargers today are smart in that they will adjust the charge rate proportional to how much the battery needs. You can leave a smart charger on for extended time. (I always turn off the charger before starting the engines to avoid a power surge)

The equalization charge is a low power charge designed to keep the plates scale free and batteries in peak condition.

So, go to Walmart and pick up a gallon of distilled water to keep in the ER. Use this to top off the battery banks every 2-4 weeks.
    Last edited by Passages; 09-25-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Some charger units, e.g. in the Heart Inverter/Charger have a software driven "equalization cycle". That cycle, when engaged, puts a high voltage charge on the batts at a declining voltage value over an 8 hour period. It serves to boil up the deposits on the bottom of the batt and re-deposit them on the plates, thereby increasing the life of the battery; also lessening the chance of a short in one cell of the plates the bottom of the battery.

My understanding...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

9. Re: Adding Water to Batteries

"It serves to boil up the deposits on the bottom of the batt and re-deposit them on the plates, thereby increasing the life of the battery.."

Not so..once accumulated particles, crystals, fall from the plates they cannot be dissolved and the battery is weakened permanently. Equalization CAN reverse RECENT (soft) particle accumulation on battery plates, but even crud that has been on plates for weeks and become hardened crystals is lost permanently. When accumulated crud reaches the bottom of plates, they are shorted and the battery is a goner.

That's why all battery manufacturers recommend prompt recharge after battery use. Daily recharge is, according to battery manufactruers, best for the life of the batteries.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

The right time to add water to batteries is, when ever they are low.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY