Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Another Battery Thread

Yeah, I know, but I need to purchase 4, 8V batteries ASAP. Problem is, there just aren't very many places in this area to purchase them. So far, all I've been able to come up with are AC Delco GC8V 79 amp golf cart batteries which run $139 each. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Another Battery Thread

Randy, those are about as good a deal as you would find, I suspect. You could also try the Trojan battery web site, looking for a dealer; I think they make 8v golf cart batteries.

Or,,,, get across the hall NOW!!! Or you go to the corner. The bell has rung... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

OOH ! OOH ! Replace both banks and drive that boat home on the starter motor(s) ! ws

Ol' cap'n Randy got that Chevallay truck loaded up with fresh used batteries from around the county. Shore do steer easy !
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

So what's the scoop on golf cart batteries? Seems I've seen stories about them blowing up and doing all sorts of things I could do without as I have enough drama in my life right now. Yes, I want/need to save $$$ where I can, but not at the expense of having to do it again real soon and/or having my eyebrows removed.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Golf cart batteries are fine. They are used all the time in trawler and sailboat applications, they cycle them down to flat and recharge them hundreds of times; they are made for it. Just get them from a good manufacturer, you should be fine. The trick is finding 8 volt ones; most golf carts use multiples of 6 volts.

Randy, probably a more costly alternative, but hopefully not a repetitive one, I called RAE Battery in CT per Sky's suggestion and bought Rolls batteries at $430ish a piece. They shipped to MI for $145 (for 8 LTL freight). Hopefully I am set for awhile.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Golf cart batteries will work, just be aware they are deep cycle batteries designed for a specific purpose, they aren't mearnt for heavy duty cranking required for deisel engines. Hit a week golf cart battery with a heavy load, and they go pop.

Thanks, but $430'ish is a bit more than I'd want to invest given I'm not likely to be in this for the long run. Just gotta get the ole' gal home, and I'm seriously considering anchoring it at my lake lot where I'm living. Might even raft her up alongside the 41' as it's going to be a long, hard winter. It's getting more and more difficult to justify, let alone afford, paying to keep these things in marinas.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I use 8v golf carts in my 70 footer, I have 2 banks , each with 8 of the 8v golf cart batts, works just fine, 4 yrs and going strong. Price here in Canada is about 135.00 also. Mine are Globelite 175 amp. , use to be able to get Trojans.