Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Another Battery Thread

Bird give me a call. I will see if my guys here have them. I got them for Todd a few years back for about $160 each.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I am kinda simple sometimes.

Why would any 71, crank harder then or require more amperage any other 71?? 2,4,6,8,or 12?

Kiwi

Simple math KIWI... the initial roll and then continued cranking for compression heat. Kinda like the same reason my Harley battery wont start my truck, but different! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

O.K., but the starter never has to overcome more then one compression event at a time.

Would'nt any of the 71's start after a similar amount of compression events?

The only difference between them being number of compression events per revelution, meaning the 4 cylinder would require more revelutions, before start then a 12 cylinder, but either would start after a like amount of compression strokes?

I'm asking.

Kiwi

It just came to Me, Dragging 12 pistons up and down thru 12 cylinders would require more amperage then just 6, then the extra mass of "initial roll". . . .

Nevermind, carry on with the cheapest battery thread.

Kiwi

I dunno... it just seems like the effort required to spin more mass, inclusive of additional oiled surfaces with cold oil especially, would require more hutzpah!
    A cold 2-71 pump for instance mite spin over 2 or 3 times and fire. A 12 banger; well, it only seems logical. (?) When the 12s are warm, they fire off with a click on the starter. At 50F ambient they may have to roll for 10-15 seconds, and 3-4 attempts till the governor gets oil pressure.
    Now ad something here Dave. On a cold start, mine will fire for 2-3 turns then stall. Second attempt is a little hunting, then stall again. Third attempt is a 5 second run with hunting, then BINGO; they stay running with a 200 rpm hunt till oil pressure (?) picks up. It always seemed to me that the rack/buffer is held in position by the pressure somewhat. Can you clarify that for me? Thanks... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

ARGHHH ! Ya snuck that one in on me! Get that 2-71 pump primed and ready with a good battery. Youll need it for the "crest". Howz that looking BTW??? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I talked to the guy at Atlantic too when on my recent battery hunt. Seemed like good people. I ended up getting my 8v195 Dekas for the starboard side from a local Batteries Plus outlet for the same price. The sales tax about offset the freight (FL to NC).

They light up my 8V92TIs instantly. The port/house bank is beginning to fade. I'd really like to replace them with Rolls, will have to start pricing those. Otherwise I may default to the higher amp hour 819s that are in there now. Another thought is to go with golf carts and use the parallel function for starting. That just sounds funky having such a mish mash though. How my evil Sentry charger wold handle two different charge characteristics, I don't know. I am already wondering if the accelerating demise of the port bank is due to having 8v195s on one side and 819s on the other.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Bird give me a call. I will see if my guys here have them. I got them for Todd a few years back for about $160 each.
    Thanks Scott, I'll do that.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    FWIW... those 12s probably take 1000 CCAs when first engaged. Thats a doozy of a cigar lighter there! ws

I think it 's more like 1750 CCA MT41s, the likely starter for 12s.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY