Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Another Battery Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boatnut View Post
    Golf cart batteries will work, just be aware they are deep cycle batteries designed for a specific purpose, they aren't mearnt for heavy duty cranking required for deisel engines. Hit a week golf cart battery with a heavy load, and they go pop.
    Yeah, the amperage rating on the ones I found worried me. Given my boat has 12V71N's, I'm assuming they pull quite a bit.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thats why I use 8 batts instead of 4 in the bank, I have 12 71's also.

Just got off the phone with a local dealer who priced me Deka East Penn 8V195's for $250 each. Willy shot me a link to an outfit in Miami that had the same battery for $237.87, but their phone doesn't work. I'm assuming their prices would not include freight. Waiting for a call back to see how long it would take to get them. Any comments on this particular battery?

He also priced a U. S. Battery 11-4-1 for $350 each. Not sure if it would be worth spending the extra in my situation.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Thats why I use 8 batts instead of 4 in the bank, I have 12 71's also.
    Not to be argumentative, but what is the advantage of carrying 8 batteries vs 4?

Seems to me the cost difference would balance out and save a heck of a lot of space in the ER, not to mention the wear and tear on your back getting them in and out. The extra weight would have to be a negative as well.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

8V195's are excellent batteries and the most bang for the buck. That is what I used in my 58. They are designed as starting batteries, which is what you want. Golf cart batteries will work, but as stated above they are designed to be deep cycle batteries NOT starting batteries. That is the reason Cannuck Dennis uses 8 golf cart batteries, so that he can be sure to have enough starting power for 12v71's. Especially since your 12v71's do not get run regularly, they may require longer cranking than usual so I would stick with starting batteries.

I had 8v195's for the first 4 or 5 years that we owned the boat. They worked great but I wanted to find the battery that would last the longest so I didn't have to replace them as often so I went with the Rolls. In your case, I would stay away from the golf cart batts and get the 8v195's. It really is a starting application and I would be afraid of melting the terminals off of the GC batts.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Finally got through to that outfit in Miami who had the 8V195's listed for $237.87. Turns out the freight is going to run $157.49. Buying them locally for $250 plus tax would result in a net savings of $13.97, but it would cost me that in fuel to drive to Knoxville and pick them up. This of course assumes they don't charge sales tax on an interstate shipment.

Big thing is they have them in stock, and I have yet to hear back from the local supplier as to how long it will take for him to get the batteries. I'll make my final decision on Monday as to which way to go, but I'm going to go with this particular battery. I've got to have the 58 through Watts Bar lock no later than October 12 when it closes for maintenance. BTW, here is a link to the outfit in Miami.

http://www.atlanticbatteryinc.com/Ma...0Batteries.htm
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Just to set the record straight, mine are starting batteries, were called golf cart due to size and looks similarity, sorry if confusing.
    4 yrs now and no problems, cranking draw is approx 700 amps on ea engine that's why I use a bank of 8, you do not get 4x195 amps when tied together, so, I use 8. and I use one bank as house when not cruising, constavolt keeps it in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Just got off the phone with a local dealer who priced me Deka East Penn 8V195's for $250 each. Willy shot me a link to an outfit in Miami that had the same battery for $237.87, but their phone doesn't work. I'm assuming their prices would not include freight. Waiting for a call back to see how long it would take to get them. Any comments on this particular battery?

He also priced a U. S. Battery 11-4-1 for $350 each. Not sure if it would be worth spending the extra in my situation.

YER WELCOME Capn' Bubba!! ws

yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

FWIW... those 12s probably take 1000 CCAs when first engaged. Thats a doozy of a cigar lighter there! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults