Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shower Not Working

In the Fall, I had my mechanic rebuild the shower valve in my 43 Open since water would only come out when the single pull valve was turned to one side and nothing when it was turned to the other. Well, silly me, I never checked to see if it was fixed and sure enough, after an 8 hour run and 165 miles from home, I stepped into the shower, pulled the valve and NOTHING--I mean nothing came out at all. I fiddled with the thing on the from the hose leading up to the sprayer to make sure it was not hung up yet noting came out the shower head despite being plugged into dockside water with all other faucets working fine. Is there an easy fix to this?

Re: Shower Not Working

Inside the valve is a metering orifice. The hole is about 1/8 inch and has a piece of crud stuck in it. Its a kind of a water saver for tankage AND the heater.
    We are on well water at the house, and the shower barely made weewee on you. I pulled that restricting orifice out and the shower will almost knock to over!
    At least the fittings wont be corroded solid like they were on mine!

Ive got pics if you want me to search for them... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Bill - it is possible I guess but when I say no water came out I mean not even a drop. It's almost as if there is a valve turned the wrong way somewhere that diverts the water away from the shower. I assume there is no such valve--at least I have never seen one.

4. Re: Shower Not Working

The "valve" mechanism is likely a cylinder with holes in it..when turned, the holes open and close allowing hot and cold water amounts to vary....maybe it was put in backwards, maybe the mechanic used the wrong one, something can loose...there is usually a clip mechanism holding the cylinder in place..maybe thats missing and the cylinder is out of position...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Does the shower head have a variable / massage head on it - maybe its turned to off?
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

I have had one of my showers stop putting out water also. I just removed the shower head and let the water flush out the debris that was clogging it. I also have a button on the shower head to completely stop the flow. Can't think of any other thing that would cause this. Ron

I have the same setup--button on the hose to the shower and I twisted and turned the massage function to no avail. I think the next step is to remove the shower head and see if it is something simple. If not, the mechanic is back to replace the valve.

Sometimes I just don't see the forest because of the trees. Some years ago I had a similiar problem in one of my showers and assumed it was a bad valve fixture so I removed it and installed a new one. Sure enough it still didn't work. Monica came by to see how I was doing and grabbed the shower head and said, "what's this little button for" as she pressed it and water sprayed out. Made me feel dumb, dumb, dumb. Obviously your problem is different, but did you check that you actually have water coming TO to valve?

Walt

Are the other faucets on the boat working? Is there water in the tank, is the FW pump primed, etc?

This is probably the same valve in most Hatteras yachts..I seem to recall having a similar problem a few years ago and having to take it apart and sort it out. From what I recall the valve was soldered into the copper plumbing going up to the showerhead. I don't think it's a throwaway item; I thought there was a service kit for it that I got at HD or a plumbing supply store. As in seals and a new core for it. I'll try to check and see if I can find receipts etc for it.

Talking Re: Shower Not Working

He probablty turned the valve off to the shower in order to repair it, check below in the E/R to see it both are open...