Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gel Coat Planer

Hybrid View

Gel Coat Planer

Does Anybody Know Where I Can Buy Or Rent A Gelcoat Planer Or Simular Tool To Peel My Gelcoat Off Bottom Any Info Would Be Appricated Thanks

Re: Gel Coat Planer

Are you really sure you want to do that? When we discussed that process with Hatteras about 4 years ago, we were very strongly urged by Hatteras not to do that.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

WHY would you want to do that? I thought they were used primarily to remove excess bottom paint,,,,,,Removing gelcoat entirely just seems extreme
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

I have seen it done quite often to remove the gelcoat and the skin out matte. That is usually the depth of the blisters on these boats, no deeper. I have seen some good jobs where that thickness that was taken off was built back up with glass and I have seen a couple of bad jobs that left the surface wavy and uneven.

I guess I would ask the same question, why do you want to do this?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

In response to why;We are hatteras owners money is no object ,good enough,just isnt.but no serisey when we bought the boat three years ago,upon haul out for survay we dident find hundreds of blisters but thousands.we know they are just cosmetic but if we dident care about cosmetics we wouldent be hatteras people. our first winter we decided to do just the sides and transom.we started with air chisels and scraped off appx 10 layers of bottom paint. then we started grinding with 6in grinders with 36grit discs as the blisters started to pop more and more were coming to the surface so we ground thru to glass.none were in the glass just the gelcoat.that spring we decided on epiglass system for our new bottom.after fairing out we put 4 coats barrer coat and two coats bottom paint. after six weeks of sanding and painting we thought there has to be a better way.so last winter we decided to try sand blasting now we know some refer to this as throwing rocks at the boat,but it did leave a lot smother surface wich ment a lot less fairing 4 coats barrer 2 coats bottom paint now strb side of bottom is done but after 2 pallets of black buity sand. sand is every where.now this winter were looking to do the port bottom,and we want to peel. if nothing else in twenty years we will have the definitive anser as to whats best grinding,sandblasting or peeling just a note after two seasons not a single blister blemish or delamanation on sides !!!I hope the fish apperecate all our hard work.one day I'll down load the hundreds of photos we took.

Would love to see the photos.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI