Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

12V71 ti 650 hp water pump seal

Hey guys, need some help with a (coolant )water pump seal?? on my 12's. Noticed a little red af on the bilge diaper this morning, ran 8 hours w/o any issues, no leaks underway and did my post shut down ER check and found that the coolant pump leaking like mad. Pissing out the weephole on the back side. Looked it up in the manual and found the water pump seal is just behind the impeller. Looks like you remove the 5 bolts on the cover and take the lock nut off the impeller and remove it and just replace the seal and insert??? Anyone done this before? Would I need a puller for the impeller? Should I just get someone to do it or is it as easy as it looks??? Any help greatly appreciated !! Was supposed to leave for Block tomorrow afternoon for family vacation. Bummed in Cape May...................Pat

Re: 12V71 ti 650 hp water pump seal

I think a press is needed and wherever you find the bearings and seals should be able to knock it out pretty quick.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    Hey guys, need some help with a (coolant )water pump seal?? on my 12's. Noticed a little red af on the bilge diaper this morning, ran 8 hours w/o any issues, no leaks underway and did my post shut down ER check and found that the coolant pump leaking like mad. Pissing out the weephole on the back side. Looked it up in the manual and found the water pump seal is just behind the impeller. Looks like you remove the 5 bolts on the cover and take the lock nut off the impeller and remove it and just replace the seal and insert??? Anyone done this before? Would I need a puller for the impeller? Should I just get someone to do it or is it as easy as it looks??? Any help greatly appreciated !! Was supposed to leave for Block tomorrow afternoon for family vacation. Bummed in Cape May...................Pat
    Dont need a press as long as you have about a foot of clearance you can do it with the pump on the engine.You need a puller to get the impeller off. you can get a auto supply chepo will do it. the seal is a straightforward deal once you get the impeller off. There should be a Napa up in Wildwood that you can get the puller. I think I got the seals for my pumps from these guys also.

H B Christman & Son Inc*, Automotive Marine Parts & Sups*
    4805 Park Boulevard
    Wildwood, NJ 08260-1513
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

does the seal just sit behind the impeller or is it pressed into a recess in the casting ?? The detroit guy I talked to said I'd have to pull it apart to get he correct seal as one is unitized and the other is not ????, thanks again fro any all repiles.........Pat

If you have the old style two piece seal you can replace it in place. The new style unitized seal needs to be installed with a press. You will need a puller to remone the impeller as the shaft is tapered. The lock not also needs to be replaced. If the pump has been on for a long time you may be better off putting an exchange pump on. Check the gear lash after installing.

Well, I removed the cover, popped the impeller and found that I have a " unitized" pump seal, so tomorrow I will order a "unreliabuilt" and just replace the whole pump on Tuesday. My weather window is gone so we will hang around Jersey Shore for a few days then head on back to the CB and just cruise locally. Many thanks to all who replied especially captddis!!! Anything I need to know about putting the new one on ?? I will get a t stat housing gasket and all hoses. Thanks again!!` ...........Pat

Just make sure the gear lash is ok. Should be .001 to .007. Usually around.004.If you don't have a dial indicator, check for a slight "tock tock" when you move the impeller back and forth.

Also make sure the dowel pin is in place also.
    Last edited by captddis; 08-22-2010 at 08:51 PM.