Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wiper Motors

1. Re: Wiper Motors

The 12V motors are all not working. The previous owner installed 3 extra switches at the helm and new wiring for them when he converted to 12v, and left the old 32v wiring and switch in place. I removed the 12v wiring because it was of poor quality and not done correctly. I am going to go back to using the Factory Installed wiring which I have tested and is working, but I will change the feed from the 32v to 12v.

I am going to buy new motors or have them rebuilt, whichever seems more economical.

I really did not want to do it this way, but since I am looking for a less expensive alternative, this seems to be the best way other than plunking down $400 a piece for 3 wiper motors.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Re: Wiper Motors

Remember the 32V wiring may not be large enough for 12V. Check first before you get a bigger problem.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Not to beat ya up on this, but I would guess 5 amps at full speed and not trying to swipe 6 inches of wet snow off in the morning LOL. Find an amp probe ( pretty cheap anyway ) and go to your pals boat and read one.
    Keeping it in perspective, how big are the fuses in your car? Maybe 15a for the AC with the compressor and blower running. ws

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLAMP-AMP-PROBE-...efaultDomain_0

Snow? Don't even think that!

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Pat,
    I'm curious if you ever got your wipers converted over to 12V?
    I have one bad one and no spare motors remaining. Like you, I don't want to spend $390 each to replace them - nor spend that much on spares.

12V would make a lot of sense. I have a 32/12 converter under the flybridge, so it wouldn't be too difficult to change out. Increase the wire sizing a little and swap 'em out.

Have you been happy with your conversion?

Thanks!
    Jeff

As a follow up to my response yesterday, I contacted two companies (including MarinePartsl listed in this thread), and found the 40v motors. Unfortunately neither company stocks them any longer, so the quest continues.

40v expensive OEM or a reasonable 12v solution that will work care free for long durations.....