Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wiper Motors

Wiper Motors

Somewhere along the way, the previous owners changed my wiper motors to 12v and th ey have al given up the fight. Probably because they added wiring and did it poorly. I have removed all that wiring and have found that the origional wiring is still there (good thing). I need to get the wipers working again, but I dont like the price of the 32v wiper motors. I was thinking that since I was able to get the 24v vacuflush motors to work successfully on 32v, could I possibly do the same with the wiper motors. What do you think? I am willing to experiment with one, but what are the risks other than burning up a $100 motor?
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Re: Wiper Motors

Seems they would run faster and generate more heat. A toilet motor is intermittent use so it probably doesn't have time to build much heat, but a wiper motor could run for hours at a time. It may take that or it may not.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Feed the 12 vdc wipers from the electronics' feed. Mine had 3 air motors that all died. The PO installed a 32 vdc unit in the center and none on the sides. Thats a project for next winter to change all 3 to 12 volt motors. Now where do we go on the issue of pantographic arms?? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

My biggest concern with running the wipers on the electronics circuit is the extra load. I can do that, but it seems I try to isolate things from that circuit to protect the electronics and keep most other items on the house 32v bank. Do you think I am being overly cautious?
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

I would guess it depends on the capacity of the voltage converter... I have a dedicated 12 volt battery, but it only charges off a plug in charger. I plan on running a 1 wire alternator off a spare pulley... another winter project?? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Does any one know what they amp rating would be on a wiper motor at its highest point? if so I can determine how much a voltage regulator would be.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

Not to beat ya up on this, but I would guess 5 amps at full speed and not trying to swipe 6 inches of wet snow off in the morning LOL. Find an amp probe ( pretty cheap anyway ) and go to your pals boat and read one.
    Keeping it in perspective, how big are the fuses in your car? Maybe 15a for the AC with the compressor and blower running. ws

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLAMP-AMP-PROBE-...efaultDomain_0
    yachtsmanWILLY

5 amps @ 32V is 160 watts. Do your old 12V motors have amps listed? Convert to watts and divide by 32. The original 32V wiper motors were actually 40V motors that Hatteras purchased from industry and just used them in a 32V system. They do not have amps listed on the motors.

Doug

Doug,
    Thats interesting info because United Technologies apparently makes wiper motors in 40v.

http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/Wiper/wwj.htm

I dont know what they cost, but it may be where Sams gets their motors. Either way, I am not wanting to spend $1000 on 3 wiper motors.

I am startign to lean towards just supplying the 12volt to feed the wipers and see what happens if they are wired correctly at that voltage. It would save us a LOT of money.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

10. Re: Wiper Motors

"I am startign to lean towards just supplying the 12volt to feed the wipers.."

You mean use the old 12 volt wipers...right???.....

any previous bad wiring would not have damaged the wiper motors....Before powering them up again, try taking one apart if you can and inspect the inside....Check for dirt, corrosion, worn brushes and dirty armature depending on how the motors are made....often it's crud and lack of use that prevents the motor from activating....it one suffers from crud, check them all before repowering....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.