Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

refrigerator replacement 46c series 1

Looking replace my refrigerator. Its a GE model and is not getting cold enough. The doors are showing signs of rust.
    Thanks

Re: refrigerator replacement 46c series 1

Quote Originally Posted by seacolt View Post
    Looking replace my refrigerator. Its a GE model and is not getting cold enough. The doors are showing signs of rust.
    Thanks
    Cover the door in a good coat of paint and then put teak veneer.Of course repair the cooling part first it really added a lot to the look. cheaper than a new one.....

I don't know what size refrigerator your using but if it's a 110 household model now's your chance to upgrade to a new Energy Star compliant refrigerator that will dramatically improve your battery life assuming your using a inverter to provide power to your fridg.

Yes it is 110 volt and I do use an inverter. But after reading through post, it seems getting the old one out and new one in could be a horror show. Just wondering if the newer models will fit throught the companion way?

Thanks for any advice

Look at apartment size refrigerators if you have a width problem with your doorway. I am thinking of replacing mine and the doorway is only 21.75" wide. This company makes a number of options (thanks to Jack Hamaker for the lead):

http://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/2668
    Last edited by fissioneng; 07-27-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I'm in the midst of this waitting for the refrig to arrive. SHOULD (i hope) fit through without any major work it's a 12 cf ge. Can't get energy star in apt size at least the size we needed. The sawzall took the old one out and yes it was a pita. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

There are a few on this page that are Energy Star compliant. Not sure what size you needed.

http://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/71

I have compared Energy Star vs non Energy Star in this size and there's not much difference in annual consumption. Something like 50-60 kwh per year, maybe $6. About a .1 of an amp.

The GE's and Whirlpools are too deep for my opening.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

You may well just have low freon. My 1996 Sub Zero had that symptom and a good refrigeration guy had 'er good as new in about a half hour. The leak is very gradual so it takes a few years to evidence itself; we didn't repair, just refilled. One nice thing about the SZ of course is that the guts are on the top so you don't have to pull it out to work on it.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Our old boat (46 Viking) had a lower galley and we had to completely dismantle the dinette in order to get a new fridge in. That was about 15 years ago.

BEWARE OF NORCOLD

Never got the beer really cold, one year out of warranty compressor blew, no help from the factory, they did tell me that their re frig needs an ambient temp of approx 74 degrees to function correctly otherwise compressor failure is imminent. I asked why do you sell to the marine and RV market, some of us don't want to run the air just for the re frig.