Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Detroit Diesel Rebuild

Could anyone let me know what I should expect to pay to have a pair of 8V53 Detroit Diesel engines rebuilt?

Thanks,
    Bill

Re: Detroit Diesel Rebuild

Most of the "experts" here will say that its around $4-5000.00 per cylinder. Parts these days typically run about + or - $300.00 per kit. Stay tuned as I am sure this thred will get bombarded with varying responses. Labor is what will kill you, depending on space etc. to perform the work in the boat or out.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I'm in shock,...did you say 4-5,000 per cylinder? that's $40,000 per engine, X2 engines, that equals $80,000 is that correct?

The engines are out of the boat and can be delivered to the shop for rebuild.

Bill
    Chanticleer
    wllmwltn@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Most of the "experts" here will say that its around $4-5000.00 per cylinder. Parts these days typically run about + or - $300.00 per kit. Stay tuned as I am sure this thred will get bombarded with varying responses. Labor is what will kill you, depending on space etc. to perform the work in the boat or out.
    My 6V92 kits were around $300 each and the whole rebuild came to around 15K. Mine was a little cheaper than most because I had water ingestion on a 6 year old rebuild. No new hoses were needed as I already had new silicone hoses and constant torque clamps. I also had all new fuel lines so none of that was needed. 3-4K per hole should do a 71 or 92 series. an 8V53 may be a bit less depending on the cost of parts. My parts total was around 3K not including the turbo which I think was around $1500 for a rebuilt one. Everything else was done, blower, heads, new bearings all injectors sent out tested and rebuilt if needed, fresh and raw water pumps rebuilt etc.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by wllmwltn View Post
    I'm in shock,...did you say 4-5,000 per cylinder? that's $40,000 per engine, X2 engines, that equals $80,000 is that correct?

The engines are out of the boat and can be delivered to the shop for rebuild.

Bill
    Chanticleer
    wllmwltn@yahoo.com

lol be better off repowering with brand new engines at that price

Quotes on my 453 engines complete in frame 6-8k. I'm told the 53 series are easier due to the sleeves using Orings to center in the block making assembly easier. The heads on the other hand are 4 valve with very small valves that tend to need reginding if worked hard every 3000hrs with a major in frame every 6000 hrs. So that would work out to $2000 a hole. Heads run about $1100 with a core charge or $1700 with out. The qoutes were assuming replacing the heads.

A friend had to have one of his 6v92s (Hatt 58MY) done a couple of months ago. After they checked it out, he was quoted 26k by a well-known, competent (allegedly) company. He agreed and over a week the mechs pulled it apart, brought in the new kits, began reassembly and THEN, when they were buttoning it back up, found pieces of the main bearings in the oil pan. OOPS...One would have thought that's one of the first things someone would check upon disassembly.

Anyway, they then had to pull the new parts and build a cradle so they could rotate the engine in order to get to the crankshaft/mains. I left the marina at that stage, flying back to Mexico.

They were nice enough - from what I've heard - NOT to charge him for the labor of installing the parts that should not have been installed in the first place but I'm told the rebuild is now up to around 36-38k with the inclusion of the crankshaft work that was not originally planned for. I would have called the crank work "normal" for an engine rebuild but that's just me.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Ya see? These are real world figures, not the numbers that the bookworms and sock puppets here dream about. You are way ahead of the game taking the blocks to a shop for the work. There is no doubt about the quality of the rebuild at that point. Hot tanking alone is worth the weight of the block.
    As a new guy here, please feel free to chime in and ad yer $.02 worth. If you do as much as you can yourself, youll save a ton of dough and learn a lot in the process.
    You will find a lot of experts here quote from other experts on how stuff should be done. BEWARE! And take a lot with a grain of salt. Youll figure out in short order who to thank and who will make you think (twice I hope!) Now go get yourself a BIG jug of Go-Joe hand cleaner and get to work! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

I sure am glad I'm not living only on my Social Securety. Boy, ain't this boating fun,..? And cheap too....!!

Bill

Now yer talkin! I do this on a meager pension, so my motto is "I aint cheap, just frugal". Welcome aboard and please, enjoy your boat. So many seem not to be able to these days! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY