Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1974 53 Classic on Ebay

Jack Sardina

Re: 1974 53 Classic on Ebay

How do we find out what the reserve is?
    Can we have member opinions on this listing please?

Just contact the seller and ask!
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

The listing and asking price looks reasonable. Though kinda big for my needs (prefer 48) I am interested in members opinions on this listing even though realizing your limited by the information provided.

worth looking at although there is quite a bit of hype in the description. I wonder how can anyone claim the galley has been "extensively updated" when you still have a 20 year old stove/oven in there! i guess putting these cheesy gold plated door handles is what updated means. yuck...

some overspray on the engines, i'd want to make sure teh rebuilts were real rebuilt and not a spray job... check the invoices and the rebuilder reputation...

i'm not sure replacing the 32v lights with 110v is that great of an idea, without inverter means you have to run the genny all the time... i'd also make sure the wiring was done properly with marine wire and connectors, not home depot wire and wing nuts.

i dont' care for Kohler generators, i'd prefer a Wstbk, NL or Norpro.

hard to tell more from the listing.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It doesn't look too bad, but even at a bargain price you've got to inspect it personally, or you may find yourself in a "difficult situation". As in upside down and trying to breathe underwater.

I agree about the genset, but Karl had a Kohler on his Hatteras that treated him very well. For a refit I would get a NL or a Westerbeke as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

i dont' care for Kohler generators, i'd prefer a Wstbk, NL or Norpro.
    I wouldn't buy an Onan either but my boat came with a 3 year old 12.5KW. 11 years later and it hasn't skipped a beat. Regular maintenance and a new raw water pump last year is all it has needed. I had a Kohler in my previous boat. Ran great for the 5 years I had it.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    It doesn't look too bad, but even at a bargain price you've got to inspect it personally, or you may find yourself in a "difficult situation". As in upside down and trying to breathe underwater.
    Thanks Jim, absolutely agree about personal inspection, then hull & engine surveys; I would not buy anything without these procedures. At this stage I'm just considering how serious I am about this particular model, size and whether its worth while to invest the money and time in the trip to look at it.

Well, it's a bit of a trek from where you are, but it's nice weather for traveling...