Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Getting the scraches out of the paneling?

I just brought the 45C back north last weekend (7 to 9 ft.) and one of the pictures which I thought was pretty well secured to the wall did come loose.
    Any suggestions as to how and what to use and try and repair/blend it out before the Admrial arrives? I noticed Mike966 in his tread has the same paneling in his photograph.

ACR

Re: Getting the scraches out of the paneling?

If the scratches are not deep, then you might try using danish oil. I have had good luck with just wiping enough on the scratched area to cover, wait about 30 minutes, wipe on some more, then wait about 15 minutes and wipe off. After this it only takes a couple hours to dry.
    Dwayne

Depends on the surface finish. If it's oiled teak or afromosia with no finish other than the oil or a wax, you can use 4X steel wool, which is so fine it feels as soft as a lambs wool, and rub it with the grain (that's up and down only) with tung oil. I recently made a "swing arc", from a picture frame that got loose, completely disappear by applying Minwax stain with XXXX steel wool, up and down gently, then rubbing with a terrycloth rag and tung oil. This was in a room that had been previously been just plain oiled afromosia.

If it has a hard gloss or semi-gloss finish, like polyurethane, on it, you can first try something like the above, but it may require that you have to actually refinish the area and blend in the new finish with the old one.

With either this, "Danish Oil", or any other remedy, you need to test it first in an inconspicuous area, like near the floor behind something.

Doug

Thanks for the info,
    ACR