Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel tank

Fuel tank

Boat (1978 53 MY) is in Marsh Harbor where the power is off more than on. Consequently we have run the genset much more than usual. Last night the genset ran out of fuel. Is there enough fuel left to crank the mains and idle over to the fuel dock?

Re: Fuel tank

Yes.

Generator pick ups are generally 2/3 the length of the engine pickups. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Depending on the vessel, I thought Hatt's were set up for the Genset to pull from only one tank. They have a dedicated fuel run on that side. Usually (always?) the tank is down more (fuel remaining) on the genset side on my 43'DC than the other. One of your tanks should or may well have more fuel than the genset feeding tank. I.e., if one is empty, then the other should have some fuel remaining.

Gotta stick to check fuel level? Check both tanks and verify level of each. Then change your fuel manifold to have both engines pull from the tank that has fuel remaining.

My 2cw..
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I keep a 5 gallon can of diesel for refilling filters. I would use this, perhaps borrow another, and put 20 gallons in the aft fuel tank. My generator only feeds from the forward fuel tank. Then shift both the engine feeds and returns to that aft tank and idle over to the fuel dock. The extra trouble might save you an expensive landing. Fortunately there is no current in Marsh Harbour to magnify the crash.

I have learned that when the power is on and off so much in the Bahamas the best thing to do is just run my generator all the time. A few years ago we lost the water heater, toaster oven and our TV from huge voltage surges as the power came on and then off. Might as well anchor out and save the dockage.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932