Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anchor swivels

anchor swivels

Shopping around for anchor swivel, west has 'KONG' brand. Anyone have any experience with these? I believe they are made in Italy.
    Have also seen swivels that pivot, is this a better design?

Re: anchor swivels

the Kongs are supposed to be the best... I lost a 110lbs claw last month after the swivel broke, not sure what the brand was, see below. I had inspected it recently for cracks and corrosion, it was in good shape

I usually dont' use swivels and never had an issues... didnt' reinstall a swivel but may get a Kong
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

There was an issue on the trawlering list, re, Kong, there was a failure and West was checking it out.... have not seen anything new yet...my swivel is same as Pascals'.holding up since 1991 so far...would hate to lose my 110lb Bruce.

I don't know the brand, but I learned that there was a problem with somebody's swivels, shackles, and other ground tackle. Rickenbacker Marina lost a few boats when several of their moorings let got due to the fairly new hardware crumbling. The marina was on the hook for the boats damaged when they got loose. I saw the shackles they brought up. It was a manufacturing defect.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Dennis,
    Do I understand that you have gone without a swivel since 1991? I am in the process of putting in a new rode and did not plan on a swivel.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    There was an issue on the trawlering list, re, Kong, there was a failure and West was checking it out.... have not seen anything new yet...my swivel is same as Pascals'.holding up since 1991 so far...would hate to lose my 110lb Bruce.

well on the bright side, a 110lbs Bruce/Claw cost about $400 so... it's not as bad as loosing a 110lbs stainless Delta!! the problem is that no Worst Marine store had them in stock on the East Coast... a week before the start of hurricane season!

It's one of these Oh S--t moment when you set the hook, hear a bang and feel the boat sliding back...

Vincent, I think Dennis said he is using a swivel... I am not. Never had one on my all chain rode with FX55 and it's working just fine. I didnt' put one back on the 70 footer i captain after that one broke and the claw and all chain did just fine.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Several serious "Salts" guys who sail across the atlantic etc. have indicated that the pin in the swivel is the weak point and also that Stainless Swivel shackles over a long period of time can be a problem because if there is a pit and salt gets in the shackle it's eroding from the inside and you can't tell.

A friend of mine has a large sailboat (Halsburg Rassy ) and the boat was only 4 years old and his stainless chain was seriously compromised to the point that the manufacturer replace 350ft.

I don't use a swivel and never had a problem and I think not having the shackle helps set the anchor, in difficult situations because the chain is twisted and will turn an anchor over to help it set.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    well on the bright side, a 110lbs Bruce/Claw cost about $400 so... it's not as bad as loosing a 110lbs stainless Delta!! the problem is that no Worst Marine store had them in stock on the East Coast... a week before the start of hurricane season!

It's one of these Oh S--t moment when you set the hook, hear a bang and feel the boat sliding back...

Vincent, I think Dennis said he is using a swivel... I am not. Never had one on my all chain rode with FX55 and it's working just fine. I didnt' put one back on the 70 footer i captain after that one broke and the claw and all chain did just fine.
    Pascal, what brand and size windless do you have on your boat?? I have an Ideal APC 35 and the main gear is finally worn to the point that I'm going to have to upgrade. I anchor all the time and Ideal has offered to build me a larger gear box that will fit in the same footprint for $1700. I recently purchased a Rockna and had to modify my bow pulpit as I had the old shute type with no roller, the modification worked on land but while at anchor last weekend I had problems with the wildcat slipping and had to crank it down and when the shaft of the anchor came up to the roller it jammed chipping three teeth on the main gear. Anyway shopping for a new Windless or the above fix.

C
    Last edited by ron6785; 06-24-2010 at 09:51 PM.

i have not used any type of swivel on my anchors until i bought the 58(it had one on it) and i have never had a problem. i now use the same type as pascals picture shows.. pascal, it appears that the swivel in the picture does have some typy of deterioration of the metal. it may just be the picture??? bigbill

We anchor quite a bit with an all chain rode and have never used a swivel either. I always viewed it as just another potential weak point.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI