Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

fuel filter leaks

I have two off engine fuel filters in series, they are the spin on type. No matter what I try thet still seep a small amount of fuel around their gaskets. one set , filter head and filter, are cummins, the other set is an off brand. Makes no difference both leak on both engines. I have tries different filter heads, filters ect same problem. any suggestions

Re: fuel filter leaks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel r morrison View Post
    I have two off engine fuel filters in series, they are the spin on type. No matter what I try thet still seep a small amount of fuel around their gaskets. one set , filter head and filter, are cummins, the other set is an off brand. Makes no difference both leak on both engines. I have tries different filter heads, filters ect same problem. any suggestions
    1. Are the gasket seats on the filter housing clean ? Maybe there are parts of old gaskets there.
    2. Perhaps you are tightening them too much. Most should only be tightened only 3/4 turn past where the filter touches the housing. See filter instructions.
    3. Are you rubbing a little oil on the gasket before installing the filter?

Will

3. Re: fuel filter leaks

Odd that two different brands would leak. Especially on what I assume is the vacuum side of your fuel system.

I'd wipe the gasket mounting surface briskly with a rag dipped in a solvent, acetone, or gasoline....if it comes away dirty there is something there.....gasket remnants are not always easy to see.

Assuming you are doing all the right things mentioned in the previous post, especially insuring the seating for the gasket mounting surface is smooth and clean, you can always try using a bit, a small amount, of silicon gasket material on the gasket and the mounting surface.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.