Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

DD 671N cartridge vs spin-on oil filters

I was just talking to the DD shop in town about oil filters. The sticker fell off the oil filter housings sometime over the winter, so I don't have the PN for the cartridge filters on my 671N-powered boat. The DD guy, after jokingly telling me that nobody makes the filters anymore and it's time to upgrade to new engines(!), asked if I was interested in going to a new filter head so I could use spin-on filters. It sure seems like those would be less messy than the cartridge type. Has anybody done this swap? Was it worth the time/effort?

Also, anybody have the PN for these filters? The DD guy said he'd have to consult the CD, but he's not sure if he stocks them anyway.

Cheers,

Re: DD 671N cartridge vs spin-on oil filters

First of all, the old style filters are readily available so don't let anybody tell you they are not. I switched to spin ons for both oil and fuel a few years ago and really like them. Johnson & Towers carries them:

Oil: P174799
    Fuel: 23533674
    Fuel: 23533673

Don't remember which fuel is primary vs. secondary. The oil is an adapter that screws onto the same housing and the fuel are new castings but bolt on replacements for the original spin on fuel filters. J&T can help you and probably have the old cartridges also.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Remote spin-ons are a lot easier to service on any engine and you can locate them wherever you want them for convenience. Mine are at chest level in the eng rooms of our 53MY and are really easy to change.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I changed my 8v53's over to spin ons a few years ago. Best thing I ever did. I ordered the adapters right from the local truck parts store. Made by Fram.
    Fred

napa 1133 for the oil cartridge for my 12's any how ive never had any problems with the cartridges Ive got it all down to a science.there is a discount marine filter place that I get my racors from too
    I get them by the case

http://www.filterbarn.com/

http://www.greenmarine.com/marinefilters/index.php
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If you have cartridges for the transmissions, you can swap those to spin-ons as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    napa 1133 for the oil cartridge for my 12's
    Interesting... I found an old receipt that indicates mine are 1136, which appears to be identical in all respects to 1133s except that they're $6 more. All of the dimensions appear to be the same, as is the micron rating.

I wonder what's up with that?