Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many Air cons on 1510MY?

i'm going to add a 5th air con on my 53... i've had it with the galley being so hot, as well as the bow stateroom!

here is the way my boat is setup: 2 x 16k BTU in the saloon, one in the master, and one split between the mid ship and the bow.

The galley gets some cold air pulled off the forward saloon unit but that's not enough.

I have a new, never installed 10k condensing unit which came with the boat. apparently when the PO replaced all the condensing units he got a 5th one, never installed. There is cabinetry evidence in the galley that there was an air handler in there, there is also evidence of an extra shelf in the ER...

I can get a used but recent 10k AH with 1 year warranty for about $450 from the guy who does my AC work... then it's jsut a matter of running the copper (short run from ER to galley) and adding a shelf for the condensing unit. I will install the AH in a space under the helm over the steps going down to the companionway, it was used for a central stereo, long gone

now, for those with 5 AC units on their boats, do you get by on the single 120/240-50 amp connection? My AC system is 120v, not 240...

I'm thinking about putting the 5th unit on a 30amp panel, fed by a 30amp power cord... 30amp cords and inlets are cheap, then all i need is a breaker on the panel. I probably wont' even bother feeding that unit from the generator since when we're on the hook we get a lot of breeze at the bow and galley.

this will make the galley much more livable in summer, as well as the bow SR. i will also be able to use all the forward saloon AC ouput for the saloon, making it cooler.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: How many Air cons on 1510MY?

Pascal,

I have four units, (2) 16k and (2) 8k to service our hatt. Our units are 120V and use one side of the 240 leg. With all four units/AH and seawater pump running, I'm pulling around 40 amps. Boat is wired 240v / 50 amp. Should I decide to cook on the drop in stove top (240v), I have to turn one unit off, if I don't do so I'll pop the breaker on the doc. Other then that I can run everything on the boat at the same time.
    Last edited by SeaWhisper; 06-23-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Pascal, our '80 53MY has 4 compressors. 1 for the salon with two evaporators/fans in the salon, 1 for the galley/forward stateroom with an evaporator/fan in the galley and one in the forward SR, one for the guest stateroom with one evaporator/fan, and one for the master SR with one evaporator/fan. The galley/forward SR ac works fine with plenty of cool air in the galley. So rather than adding an entire unit, perhaps just adding an evaporator for the galley would be sufficient. Apparently, Hatt must have done that at some point in 53MY production.

Only the guest stateroom ac unit is 120vac; all others are 240.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Mike

interesting how they switched it at some point. do you know how big is your compressor for the saloon? has to be 24k, i dont see a 16k providing enough cooling, at least here in the summer.

I thought about using the smaller compressor for the mid ship SR, and then the full 16k btu for the bow and galley, but i'd still have to get a new evaporator since the bow is an 8k. may as well leave teh existing stuff alone and just add a new AH for the new compressor...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

pascal, my 58yf was set up the same as your boat, the PO moved the fwd stateroom ac coil from blowing into the v berth, and made it blow into the galley above the dinette, then added a self contained unit in the same cabinet above the washer/dryer, and set it up to blow into the v berth. the galley doesn't get cold, but it is comfortable while cooking, the v berth is another story, you can hang meat in there. if i did this, i would leave the original setup as is, and add a self contained unit in the same location, but blowing into the galley. bigbill

Pascal,

My 67'CPMY has a separate a/c for the galley which blew cold air thru a vent
    above the dinette. I added a separate vent hose under the floor to the forward port corner of the cabinets to exhaust cold air directly at a person standing at the galley sink. The install was easier than I thought. I was an instant hero with my wife, at least for a little while. Just a thought if you are going to add a separate a/c unit--the evaporator is under the forward dinette seat
    afisher3
    1989 67'CPMY

thks!

in my case, it's going to be easier to mount the AH high above the steps down to the companion way, also shorter pipe run to the AC and it will blow air in the galley but also straight thru the bow SR when the door is open.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

One 32K in salon
    One 16K split for fwd strm and galley
    One 10k in master
    One 5K in mid strm

All are 220v units except the 5K

I have 2 50amp services and usually dedicate one of them to the A/C panel.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    i'm going to add a 5th air con on my 53... i've had it with the galley being so hot, as well as the bow stateroom!

here is the way my boat is setup: 2 x 16k BTU in the saloon, one in the master, and one split between the mid ship and the bow.

The galley gets some cold air pulled off the forward saloon unit but that's not enough.

I have a new, never installed 10k condensing unit which came with the boat. apparently when the PO replaced all the condensing units he got a 5th one, never installed. There is cabinetry evidence in the galley that there was an air handler in there, there is also evidence of an extra shelf in the ER...

I can get a used but recent 10k AH with 1 year warranty for about $450 from the guy who does my AC work... then it's jsut a matter of running the copper (short run from ER to galley) and adding a shelf for the condensing unit. I will install the AH in a space under the helm over the steps going down to the companionway, it was used for a central stereo, long gone

now, for those with 5 AC units on their boats, do you get by on the single 120/240-50 amp connection? My AC system is 120v, not 240...

I'm thinking about putting the 5th unit on a 30amp panel, fed by a 30amp power cord... 30amp cords and inlets are cheap, then all i need is a breaker on the panel. I probably wont' even bother feeding that unit from the generator since when we're on the hook we get a lot of breeze at the bow and galley.

this will make the galley much more livable in summer, as well as the bow SR. i will also be able to use all the forward saloon AC ouput for the saloon, making it cooler.
    Pascal, am I to understand that you have 4 - 16K units??? and your not getting enough cooling??"?. I have a 16500 for my aft saloon and one for my aft stateroom which also supplies the mid stateroom and a 9k for forward saloon and galley, and a 6 K mounted above my washer/dryer with outlets in the forward stateroom and over the dinnette in the galley, with all four running I can keep the boat below 75 in the dead of summer, in Texas. I do have to make some choices in terms of controling flow of air in the forward stateroom and saloon depending on what cooling needs I have in the saloon or Galley but it's never a problem keeping them cool.
    Last edited by ron6785; 06-23-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Pascal,
    running the following off of ships service 2. On a single 240/50 amp leg to the boat you need to make some choices (I usually turn VIP Stateroom off while curling irons are on).
    One 32K in salon
    One 16K split for fwd strm and galley
    One 10k in master
    One 10K in VIP strm
    One 32k in aft salon

Otherwise, I run this leg and then ships service 1 & 3 from the 2nd 240/50 amp plug. Everyon's happy with 100amps to boat.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY