Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Starting engines for first time in ????

I have seen several DDs that have sat for some time that have frozen racks. In this situation, they can go to full throttle immediately on start up. As Scrod suggests, pull the covers and make sure you can move the rack. It only takes one stuck injector to hold it open.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Running the engines for a while with no impellers won't be a problem as long as the internal coolant systems are working and have coolant. It would probably take a LOOOONG time for coolant temps to get anywhere near hot without a load. But, of course, watch the temp gauges - manual ones in the engine room are nice...
    WAIT!!
    Running 8V71s without the impellers will quickly overheat the exhaust collectors because the shower heads will not be injecting raw water into the exhaust stream. Also if he has wet risers instead of dry risers, it will overheat the riser pipes. Bad!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Nonchalant1 View Post
    WAIT!!
    Running 8V71s without the impellers will quickly overheat the exhaust collectors because the shower heads will not be injecting raw water into the exhaust stream. Also if he has wet risers instead of dry risers, it will overheat the riser pipes. Bad!

Doug
    Agreed. I would only start them if you have raw water flow.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Do not mean to cast aspersions, but, starting engines after long shut downs etc, should really be done by qualified technician, anything else could lead to catastrophic failure and false economy. my 2c

GOOD POINT, I totally forgot about the showerheads and the rest of the exhaust system!!!!

As others have fortunately noted, you should NOT run the engines without raw water for the sake of the exhaust system and it's really good that they posted that! DOn't do it; put in new RW impellers. When I advised it would be OK, I was thinking ONLY of the engine itself. You could end up with melted exh hoses or worse...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Just how hot do you guys think the exhaust is going to get on an unloaded engine?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I really get nervous when people suggest running diesels without all systems in operation as they should be, a runaway can cause catastrophy in seconds. Is the a fire extinguisher within easy reach ? sometimes the dampers just are not enough enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Just how hot do you guys think the exhaust is going to get on an unloaded engine?
    I agree...at idle with no load the exhaust isn't going to be very hot. Monitor it though.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of this exercise? I can't figure out what good can come of this but there are sure no end of bad things that can.

Personally, this seems like the time to have good mechanic help you. Cheap insurance for a couple hundred bucks or so.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I agree...at idle with no load the exhaust isn't going to be very hot. Monitor it though.
    Right, I mentioned using a Raytek earlier, the exhaust would be another good spot to point it.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375