Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much do your Cummins VT-903’s smoke when cold?

For all you Hat owners lucky enough to have Cummins VT-903’s installed , how long do yours smoke when cold? Mine smoke like banshees (white smoke, no oil burning) until temp gauges start budging off pins if idling (about 100 degrees), and are reduced by at least ½ when I put them in gear when cold. On calm days I can see sheen of unburnt diesel on water at exhaust. When engines warm there is no smoke at idle or higher rpms. Understand it’s somewhat ‘normal’ for turbo engines to smoke at cold idle due to lower natural compression ratio, cold block, and turbo’s not making much if any compression at low rpm.

I bought the tools to do injector and valve clearances on ebay over winter. Was thinking of saving that project for end of season but if above isn’t normal by VT-903 standards maybe I’ll tackle it sooner.

Re: How much do your Cummins VT-903’s smoke when cold?

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    For all you Hat owners lucky enough to have Cummins VT-903’s installed , how long do yours smoke when cold? Mine smoke like banshees (white smoke, no oil burning) until temp gauges start budging off pins if idling (about 100 degrees), and are reduced by at least ½ when I put them in gear when cold. On calm days I can see sheen of unburnt diesel on water at exhaust. When engines warm there is no smoke at idle or higher rpms. Understand it’s somewhat ‘normal’ for turbo engines to smoke at cold idle due to lower natural compression ratio, cold block, and turbo’s not making much if any compression at low rpm.

I bought the tools to do injector and valve clearances on ebay over winter. Was thinking of saving that project for end of season but if above isn’t normal by VT-903 standards maybe I’ll tackle it sooner.

Mine smoke slightly (white smoke, no oil burning) at start, but continue until warmed up or under load. Even warmed up they still smoke ever so slightly. Need to have injectors and valve clearances as well, as they haven't been done for as long as I've owned the boat (4 years). Please let me know what you find out...

I just sold a boat with VT555's the little brothers to them and the fuel condition was the reason for the smoke. Fresh fuel with cetane boost does the trick.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Fresh fuel with cetane boost does the trick.

Very Interesting (and sounds cheap!). I used AJX last year and did notice less smoke. Not sure if that it has cetane booster too, will check it out tomorrow as still have some left I need to put into current tanks. Been meaning to try Diesel Kleen as I believe it's alot cheaper. I'll be sure to write back when done testing now that I'm specifically looking for results.

I have been using diesel Kleen on my detroits and am switching to AJX.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I have been using diesel Kleen on my detroits and am switching to AJX.

And that begs the question "Why"? Have you had better experience with AJX? I have never used Diesel Kleen but read others seem to like it.

About Diesel kleen

It's cheap. It's sold at walfart. It's the most basic that fits the additive needs but it does nothing for tank maintenance. If price is the deciding factor thats the way to go.

I am changing over to the AJX TMS as it will keep everything better than the diesel kleen.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I got the same general response about tank maintenance when I asked the question 2 years ago and picked up a couple of quarts of AJX. Curious about AJX boosting Cetane rating, guess it does. I know I still had enough smoke to make my neighbors run below every time I cranked em over when I was using it (sail boaters mind you). Unless it's your gas making the stank, it's hard to enjoy it

TMS boosts cetane while TCS cleans better. I know with clean fuel the 43DC with 903's that I sold a while back did not smoke like that. Check with another member (Mel Tucker) to see if he has the same amount of smoke. It may be tune up time too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

10. Re: How much do your Cummins VT-903’s smoke when cold?

What do you mean by "cold"? At 30 degrees you'll be lucky to get your engines started...at 80 degrees ambient likely they'll start promptly and smoke a LOT less. Is this some sort of change from earlier "cold" starts??

If you are getting no smoke at normal cruise RPM, and your exhausts are clear after a few minutes at rated WOT RPM, I'd not worry. That means compression and combustion is sufficient to produce proper WOT RPM's.

I had a smidgen of smoke several years ago, so I thought, at start up, with my 8V71TI's, and the same guy who did my overhaul "tuned" them up....the only guy I let touch my engines on two boats over 25 years....both smoked just a tad MORE after the "tune up"...I was really disappointed.....Asked the mechanic "Are you getting too old for this work" and he replied "It feels like it." Had the mechanic come back and double check his work...all was well, he used the same valce clearances as six years prior....I wasted time and money over nothing.

Even if you are burning a tad more fuel, meaning that maybe in a perfect world a tune up might yield a slight improvement, so what? Unless you are running say a thousand annual hours you'll spend far,far,far more on the cost of a tune up than any fuel savings. "Don't "fix" what ain't broke."

Why not install block heaters, or engine oil pan heaters..to warm your engines before start...that will eliminate the vast majority of cold start smoke at any ambient temperatures...
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 05-14-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.