Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Renewing the Eljer faucets

One of the oem Eljer faucets on our 53MY has been seeping from around the base whenever the water was turned on. We've been ignoring it for quite a while (as in 5 years!) but this AM I decided to pull it apart with the idea of renewing all the seals on all 3 heads (6 faucets). The faucets all look virtually new chrome-wise so there was no need to replace them as far as appearance is concerned

The faucets looked a little odd to me - especially the way the handles are attached and at first I was confused because there was no cap on top or set-screw on the side but it turned out to be pretty simple and all the new washers/gaskets for all 6 of them came to less than 10 bucks at the local True Value.

The handles are held by a little piece of metal that locks into a slot on the handle. Once I noticed the slot, it was just a matter of pushing a small screwdriver in to depress the metal tab and lifting the handle off. The rest is just faucet repair 101 and requires 3 new gaskets/seals.

Attached is a pic of the assorted pieces and the new gaskets. You can see the slot on the side of the handle.

Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Renewing the Eljer faucets

Great Info and Picture - Thanks Mike! - I've been ignoring mine for 3 years. It's great seeing a picture to inspire actually getting it done.

I'm ignoring mine too. I don't like them or the sinks at all and can't bring myself to work on something I'm going to replace altogether. That said, it's been 4 years for me that I've been ignorning them. I should probably do this too, but my faucets are not in pretty condition. These are odd faucets/sinks - they way they mount at an angle, so to replace them, the sink has to go too. I've never seen a faucet/sink set up like this - they mount at a 45° angle rather than on a flat surface. A new faucet on an old sink looks funny because of the angle in which the sink accepts the faucet.

For now, I'll just keep ignoring them.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Back when we bought the boat we thought about new sinks/fixtures but after doing some looking we figured out that those sinks/faucets were chosen by Hatt to provide the largest possible sink in the counter space available. Anything that will actually mount in the countertop ends up too small as far as we are concerned.

So we decided that we preferred the larger oem sink to a "modern" one that would be considerably smaller. Of course, if the Eljers had looked bad - chrome worn off, etc - we would have opted for a new sink/fixtures regardless. But they look new when wiped clean and new washers/seals are just standard hardware store stuff so they will probably stay on the boat as long as it's ours.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

mike, do you have a brand name, model number,or size,of the kit? i would like to have all of the kits in hand when i start to replace them, instead of taking them apart, then running to the store to purchase them, return to the boat to install. i am 2 hours from the boat, and dont want to pull stuff apart that i cant fix right away. thanks, bigbill

Bill - sorry no, it wasn't a kit. I just went to True Value and hunted through their boxes of washers/ seals 'till I found the ones that matched the parts on the faucet I took in.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

My boat came with regular flat mounting area sinks. It was easy to replace the faucets on those with standard 4" spread faucets.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mike,

I just went through this with Cinderella- all three faucet sets essentially needed rebuilding; if you still need any info would be glad to help out...will be around.

Best,
    Cheryl

Does anyone have a set sitting around? Im putting an OEM sink back, and dont have the fixtures/faucets.

I will be taking my sink out and replacing with a corian under mount. How much of a rush are you in? You are welcome to have it when it's out. Could be a couple months.