Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Fake teak flooring

My wife planned,cut and installed the Amtico teak and holly (strips) on our 43C in the salon and both staterooms and did it all in a few days. As MikeP has indicated, it is all in the planning.
    I helped initially in the cutting and found that an exacto knife with edge worked well. I've seen plasteek on another boat and am glad we went with amtico.

The score is Amitico 4 / Plasteak 2

Really, no horror stories? This stuff pretty expensive, I figure somebody has something negative to say about one of the products.

If not, I'll give it a few more days and then buy the Amtico.

As Sky mentioned, Hatt uses Amtico in their current boats. Whether that's a plus or minus depends on how you view Hatteras nowadays!

Here's a pic of Amtico "Teak/Holley" in the head of their 60. Frankly, the way I laid it looks better (IMHO) than the way they laid it but it's the same stuff! http://www.hatterasyachts.com/Page.a...tor-Yacht.aspx

OOPS - link didn't go to the pic - select interior images and then the last one - shows a head with Amtico T/H
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

here are a couple of small pictures. have since done the steps to the salon, heads and companionway past the engine rooms.
    Attached Images
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I looked at both pretty hard. I have samples from Amtico - good stuff. I went with white carpet instead. Once that ugly's out between the ER's (its only a question of time and oil changes), I will replace with Amtico. I also looked at a new product called Nu-Teak for exterior use. This stuff looks and feels great (not as good as the real stuff, but darn close). For a yard to lay it down on the entire flybridge on my 53, it was about $15,600. I talked with the distributor and the stuff is almost as easy (per his words) to lay as linoleum. It might be half as expensive to do it yourself. Based on some other projects - I went with regular non-skid and paint instead of the Nu-Teak. BTW - Viking also uses Amtico in their galley's and heads. Food for thought...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Those pictures look great Mr. Carolina, if mine come out like that I'll be very happy.

Also, if you prefer the look, you can also route in some real teak wood to form the surrounds for the hatches. Here is a pic of mine in the passageway but I did the same with all the other hatches (two in galley, one in V-berth). Note that the carpet showing was the old carpet that was in place when I did the Amtico. It's since been replaced with a light gold. Also, the grey around the edges of the hatch is a refection from the flash; In normal light there is just a thin "black" line visible.

Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Hi Mike,

Beautiful job Mike. I did my galley, fwd stateroom, dinette floor and the master head with Amtico about 5 or 6 years ago and it still looks good. I used metal edging around the hatches, but I think your job looks far better. Would you be so kind as to post some details about the wood trim, including thickness and manner of installation. Also what did you use to finish the wood? Thanks in advance Mike.....

By the way, Amtico is real teak veneer encapsulated between the black substrate and the clear top material with the embossed grain. That's why it looks so good and no two pieces are exactly the same

Walt

Walt - thanks.

It's 3/8" thick teak - can't recall the width but around an inch I think. We just routed the hatches to the depth/width.y. The floor was more difficult since we had to lay guide rods to ensure straight cuts and the last inch or so of the cut had to be done by hand to square it off but it really wasn't much of an issue. We kept the dust down by having one person hold a shop vac hose right at the router exhaust as we moved along. Really did very well and there was very little dust as a result.

The teak is flush with the floor so there is no lip or any protrusion at all. It was attached with power driven small brads that you can't really see at all unless you get down on your hands/knees and look for them.

The only finish on the teak was 3 coats of minwax tung oil initially. From that point on I just wiped on a coat of the tung oil once in a while - took maybe 10 minutes to do all the hatches. If you use the Amtico Gloss enhancer on the floor (which I don't think is any different than any other vinyl flooring gloss product) you can just use that on the teak as well and not bother with the tung oil. I've been doing that since last season - it gives the flooring more of a deep varnished look, like a real teak plank flooring is normally finished.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Thank you Mike, I plan to get on it ASAP. We are planning a pretty full cruising/boating schedule this summer and all my little jobs need to be done by June first. Details like you did really make the difference between a truly custom high quality look as opposed to a sea ray look.

Walt