Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Towing an Inboard

Has anyone had any experience towing an inboard? I am currenlty looking at center consoles and I came across a great deal on an inboard.

I was wondering if the rudder would affect towing.

Thanks

Re: Towing an Inboard

I think it is 3rdHatt that used to tow an Ocean Master Inboard with his MY. Do a search for Towing and you will find it. PM him and I bet he can be of help.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Re: Towing an Inboard

Need to lock the shaft so the trans dosent burn up. then the prop will be like a big parachute out there. thats why twin engine airplanes have featherable propellers

4. Re: Towing an Inboard

The rudder will actualy help the tow track better as long as it is amidships.

Locking the shaft to prevent the gear from rotating depends entirely upon the gear. Some require it while many do not and others have a time limit on the amount of back driving before you have to run them to circulate new oil. Go with the recommendation of the gear maker.

Overall the underwater gear will create more drag, but it is not that big a deal if you are moving at slow speeds.

5. Re: Towing an Inboard

Thank you for your input. From everything that everyone has told me so far - i think I am going to go with an outboard.

Thank you,

Jon