Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fake teak flooring

Hi, I know there have been previous threads on this but there are just WAY too many to go through.

I’m looking to cover the salon of my 41 Hat (Convertible) in the fake teak.

The two names that keep coming up are plasteak and Amtico.

4 questions-

First question- I’m in the Northeast, once this stuff is glued down, has anyone had any experience with it expanding and contracting with our 100 degree temperature swings? The plasteak seams to come in rolls which would seem to be easier to install, where the Amtico seems to come in individual pieces leaving more room for error.

Does one or the other seem to hold up better than the other (scuff, fading, scratch and stain resistance).

Has anyone noticed a big difference in interior sound levels, while running at cruise, (twin 671 turbos) I can’t imagine idle being a big difference.

Lastly is there anything comparable for sale at either Home Depot or Lowes. This would definitely be convenient for the “learning curve.”

Re: Fake teak flooring

Lot of threads on this, including several of mine re Amtico. I think the Amtico is great. The heat/cold you mentioned has no effect on it when installed (as recommended by Amtico) with their two part epoxy adhesive.

Do a search on Amtico here and I'm sure you will find plenty of info re that product. If you do an advanced search with "Amtico" as the subject and "MikeP" as the author you will find all of mine. I'm not saying they are the only ones or even very good ones but you'll find a lot of stuff re installation on my 53.
    Last edited by MikeP; 04-11-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

The Amitco is a commercial product. It is used in shopping malls, etc. If you are looking for something that will hold up over time, I think this is your best bet. It is more work to install, but not bad. We put Amtico in the heads and love it. Also, Hatteras uses it on their new boats from what I hear.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I am not familiar with Amtico, although we installed Plasteack las year in the flying bridge and in the outside salon of our 58 YF. It was a messy job at the beggining but it got easier at the end. Just remember the areas in a boat are not as square as the look, so be prepared to make adjustments. I will try to post some pictures when I figure how to do it. By the way we did purchase some fake teak floors fropm Home Depot that come in squares, that are pre-glued,we installed them on the galley, heads and in the forward stateroom, they are easier to install but do not hold to well with heat, time and if you have diesel spill on them.Good luck

Thanks for the resonses guys, what to do.....what to do....

we went with amtico. it is commercial flooring and can also be food grade. their us plant is in GA. Hatteras and perhaps Fleming or Marlow may use their material also on new yachts. their brand of epoxy is all they warranty for the flooring in a commercial setting. it may have been MikeP, not sure, but there are beautiful installation pics on this site. good luck
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Plasteak is much easier to lay than Amtico and is has the same look that teak and holly plywood provides. I believe Amtico is not available in actual teak and holly colors. I did our galley and head in 2005 and it still looks perfect. I have had no lifting problems. Plasteak is a very high quality form of linoleum and comes with with the proper adhesive. We are very happy with this product.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Thumbs up Re: Fake teak flooring

Here's another vote for Amtico. I had it installed in the '93 MY's upper solon and galley. The installer had been trained by the Amtico factory and did an amazing job. Guests will frequently bend down and feel the deck with their hands and still believe it is the real thing. Repair is simple. Remove the damaged strip, from a dropped anchor or whatever, and replace it. The factory recommended adhesive never really hardens so it is able to expand or shrink with temperature changes.

The installer measured the boat and planned a border of dark wood looking amtico. You can have a compass rose or whatever you want. The factory will custom cut the design according to the demensions supplied by the installer. We are now planning on installing it in all three heads using a personal burgee design. My only real caution is not to go crazy with all the options.

Have fun.
    Last edited by fmstrunk; 04-13-2010 at 07:41 PM.

So the consensus is: If I'm going to install myself, go with Plasteak because it's easier, if I'm going to pay than Amtico.......sound right? The good thing here is know one has said anything negataive about either.......Anyone have any horror stories I should know about?

I installed the Amtico myself and it was easy. I cut the pieces to fit with some big roofing shears and then mixed and troweled the glue on and dropped the pieces in place. It's not difficult.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI