Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Center Queen Berth

In my search for my next home I am looking at a number of Hatteras Convertibles with V berths. As this is to be a liveaboard, better sleeping arrangements are necessary.

I am looking at Mid 40's to 50 foot and will run hull speed most of the time. I am attempting to stay in the under $100k range.

Has anyone converted the V berths to a walk around Queen?

I plan to use the cramped stateroom for a Washer / Dryer combo and office space.

My second choice is a Trawler in the same size range, but it has to have walk around decks and a cockpit withTransom door if possible. It is difficult to find one like that.

Any responses or suggestion would be appreciated.

Jimmy

Re: Center Queen Berth

Have you looked at any of the Yachtfish models? They give you the stateroom of a motoryacht with the cockpit you're looking for. Also room for a washer/dryer. See the brochures on this site.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I have seen several Hatts my model 37C with v/berth, center queen, and a single with a dressing area. so If you do not find what sleeping arrangements you are looking for modifying it should not be that difficult good luck with the search Jim

Jimmy, the problem with having the master in the bow is that you get a lot of noise from the waves. The angle of the V and the steps can make little ripples annoying, Billys 46 had the master to the side and didnt seem to have the problem. Just something to think about....see ya at the hi 10!
    "In a country well governed; poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed; wealth is something to be ashamed of." -- Confucius

5. Re: Center Queen Berth

I like the "noise" of the waves...but during windy conditions, it can be a distraction..also the vee shape of the hull can make sufficient walk around room for a queen very difficult. Vee berths "hide" the hull flare under and enable you to walk in the deeper center posrtion of the bow area.

You'll have to decide if a cockpit which takes up the space of an interior cabin suits your needs..I personally prefer the cockpit and have posted pros and cons previously in this forum..depend on your plans for use...

There are a number of trawlers with transom doors and aft decks if not actual cockpits....but most of the trawlers are far east built and come with various issues such as coring problems or sub standard underwater metal alloys....You can check DAVIDPASCOE online and see if he reviews boats you take a fancy to.

In this market you should be able to find a 1970's Hatteras 48ft and 50ft YF for under $100K but likely you'll have to do some work after purchase....

If you are going to run high annual hours, say 500 to a1,000 annually, maybe a trawler with smaller and perhaps upgraded engines would be a wise choice as they'll use perhaps 1/2 the fuel of a Hatt with 71 series engines. But if you will be running only say 100 or 200 hours annually the relatively higher cost of a trawler will never be recovered and the 71 series detroits will easily outlast you.

Also, walkaround decks ARE nice...but especially for a liveaboard the 1% of the time you USE the catwalks reduces your interior space 100% of the time you are living inside!!!! In say a 45% trawler, those catwalks reduce interior space a LOT....compare different styles and you'll see....

Also, if you compare say a 1970's Hatt YF with a 1980's you'll see the design difference; or compare a 1970's Hatt YF to a 47ft 1980's Marine Trader Trawler(no cockpit) ...both the alternatives to the earlier Hatt have flybridge further forward, a lower overall flybridge height, and (I think) make better use of interior volume...BUT you can't see to back in stern first from the flybridge of the newer layouts....the aft roof blocks virtually all visbility directly aft...so there are many tradeoffs depending on your plans for use....

PS the 47 Marine Trader models have been blown over in mini tornadoes...squalls, they are light and high....
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 03-30-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I have looked at a 48 Yachtfish and did not like the configurtion. I also saw a 44 Marine Trader with cockpit in Capt. Tobbs back yard and did not like the fact you cannot walk around the aft deck to the cockpit. I too felt it was top heavy.

My current favorite is a 44 Thompson Trawler with Glass decks and glass fuel tanks. It has both port and starboard doors and a washer dryer which is a must. No true cockpit but full walk around access and good access to a swim platform. It also has a large galley and a walk in closet in the master. The galley is forward where Vee Berths would be which makes a nice salon. It's drawback is a the only head is in the aft master suite.

I really liked a 50 Hatt Convertible which has engine issues.

I will be single handing so I feel the side deck access is important and I want easy access to a dingy so the cockpit and transon door means a lot.

I am also going to look at a 350 Mainship which seems interesting, but I think it will be too small for my needs.

I realize no boat will be perfect on a budget but hopefully I can find an acceptable compromise.

I can see I will need to further discuss this with Todd, Big Bill and Deckhand over numerous "Cold Pops"

Thanks to everyone for your input as every opinion make it a little more possible to make the right decision.

Jimmy
    Thankfully out of the Hatt for a House business

I converted the Vberth in my Series I 36C to an offset double berth. It was not difficult and works very well; it has been that way so long that when I see other similar boats, I do a double take when I realize they still have the Vberth. Mine looks original until you scrutinize it VERY closely. A good yacht carpenter can do this without much difficulty. Now, as to whether you can get a midline queen- you'd need more room. But I think Series II 46Cs had them as original, so obviously there's enough room in a 45 foot hull to do it.

It's sort of like speed- speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Similarly, comfort cost money too- how much do you want?

Jimmy, i thought i smelled something funny in my backyard!

Yea, it is a PITA to get to the head of the bed in a master v berth.... I will tell you about it over the mass quan titties of cold pops....
    "In a country well governed; poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed; wealth is something to be ashamed of." -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I converted the Vberth in my Series I 36C to an offset double berth. It was not difficult and works very well; it has been that way so long that when I see other similar boats, I do a double take when I realize they still have the Vberth. Mine looks original until you scrutinize it VERY closely.
    We're still waiting for pictures so we can scrutinize it VERY closely.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    We're still waiting for pictures so we can scrutinize it VERY closely.

Yes pictures would be nice I have thought about this many times.
    The problem I see is who gets stuck agaist the wall which will be a PITA in the middle of the night. The wife said well I want the outside edge and I say you can't that's my spot! So that is why I still have V bunks!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>