Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Master Head Gulping Air

My master head evacuates faster than it fills. It is a fresh water fed Gallemaid setup. Because it flushes faster than it fills, it takes a big gulp of air which requires a bit of burping to get it to evacuate again. Not a stator issue as she flushes just fine until she empties the bowl and sucks air in from the empty bowl. Is there any way to increase the fresh water flow rate or decrease the flush rate. Not a big deal but ther should be an easy answer. Local wrench has suggested closing the discharge sea clock a bit to slow the flush rate. That does not seem like the right answer. Any ideas?

2. Re: Master Head Gulping Air

I have a similar issue with my master head. It sucks dry when I am running. I suspect it may be a scupper issue which I will need to check at the next pullout.

I have also noticed on occasion that the fill rate exceeds the evacuation rate. Have you tried using white vinegar in the line? Perhaps there is a buildup?
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 09-13-2016 at 08:22 PM.

3. Re: Master Head Gulping Air

My master pump is outboard of the starboard engine and the thru hull is right below it. Is your boat configured the same way?

Re: Master Head Gulping Air

It is a fresh water fed head. The pump is outboard of the starboard engine.

You probably already know this, but the pump has 2 rotors and stators, the big end and the little end. The little end draws the water from the tank or thru hull. Mine are raw water, so this might not apply to yours. Mine sometimes get air bound. I open the bleed screw on the small end and listen for a rush of air and replace the screw as water begins to flow. If there is no water, then there is a blockage somewhere. I've actually had a fish impaled on the thru hull grate before. If I've got good water flow, then I close the thru hull valve and remove the small end of the pump to check the rubber.

It sounds like you re not getting enough water in. Start with the simple stuff first like a kinked hose or a partially closed shut off valve.

As to the advice you received to partially close the discharge sea cock, this woudlnt do anything since waste goes to the holding tank... Stay away from whoever gave you that ridiculous advice..
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    You probably already know this, but the pump has 2 rotors and stators, the big end and the little end. The little end draws the water from the tank or thru hull. Mine are raw water, so this might not apply to yours. Mine sometimes get air bound. I open the bleed screw on the small end and listen for a rush of air and replace the screw as water begins to flow. If there is no water, then there is a blockage somewhere. I've actually had a fish impaled on the thru hull grate before. If I've got good water flow, then I close the thru hull valve and remove the small end of the pump to check the rubber.
    I'd agree with this. Your water supply isn't adequate for the discharge. Do you have a separate pump for the FW supply or are you still using the supply side of the Galley Maid pump?
    Jack Sardina

From the troubleshooting guide at raz:

The pumps are designed to evacuate more that is brought in, 7 GPM in and 10 GPM out.

Sucking some air is normal. I would first verify sufficient intake.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Thanks all.

Jack - I do not have a separate water pump for the fresh water side. It is being fed by the dockside water connection and controlled by a solenoid valve as far as I know. I suspect it is not involved with the GM pump at all--at least that is what I think. When underway, it is being fed by the fresh water pump.

Jim - I will check with Raz and ask for advice. You are correct. Most of my other heads also suck air but none of the other heads has as long a run to the pump as the master head.

John , there really are two ways to set up fresh flush, one is to use the flush side of the pump and feed the fresh water via a solenoid to the flush water side of the pump. Another is to bypass the flush pump and just go straight to the head with the fresh water . The latter is the way I did mine on my old boat but I put 1/4 turn ball valves inline to regulate the incoming water. I would check and see if there is a valve somewhere to control the flush water coming in........Pat