Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

Piling extensions over or under engineered

The existing pilings are not as tall as Lilly Marie's sheer of the boats at high tide. Wanting to add 3 feet to the existing piling height, we cut a 3 ft piece off of the butt end of a scrap piling then drilled 4 holes into the top of the existing piling and the 4 holes into the end of the scrap piece, then filled all 8 holes with thickened epoxy resin and inserted 5/8 x 16 inch rebar into the holes on one end, added more thickened epoxy to the top of the piling then put the 3 ft piece on top.

Problem is the holes and rebar are difficlut to line up even with the jig. We had difficulty with the first one and almost did not get it to come together. I would like to use one pair of holes and one piece of rebar per piling, located in the center of the piling. That would be much easier alignment, I wonder if one rebar provides enough strength?

An Internet site indicate that 5/8 rebar epoxied into concrete has a tensile strength of about 24,000 pounds. My shade tree engineering tells me that a 3 foot lever against an 8" piling base (4") radius against a length of rebar at center would be a 9 / 1 reduction ( 36" / 4" = 9) Thus the joint should stand a 2,666 lb pull to the side from the top of the piling.

Any thoughts on this?
    Attached Images
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956